The AMA recognizes the critical importance of scientific integrity, transparency, and public trust as we fight to contain the global spread of COVID-19 and plan for the authorization, distribution and administration of COVID-19 vaccines.
- AMA and the Ad Council provide new COVID-19 resources to boost vaccine confidence.
- The FDA has issued an EUA to permit the emergency use of the Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine for the prevention of COVID-19 in individuals 18 years of age and older.
- To promote factual information around COVID-19 online, the AMA's COVID-19 vaccines guide for physicians contains background and actions, evidence-based messaging guidance and best practices for consideration in external communications on COVID-19 vaccine topics.
- AMA publishes a new resource to answer COVID-19 vaccine FAQs for physicians: COVID-19 vaccines physicians' frequently asked questions (Download the PDF version).
- AMA publishes a new resource to assist physicians and practice staff in responding to patient inquiries about COVID-19 vaccinations: COVID-19 Vaccine Script for Patient Inquiries (PDF).
- AMA's latest webinar in the Emerging Topics series explores vaccine hesitancy: "Vaccinations: Roadmap for success."
The AMA published new resources on what patients need to know regarding COVID-19 vaccines, transmission and wearing face masks:
- COVID-19 vaccines patients' frequently asked questions (Download the PDF version).
- COVID-19 Transmission: Patient-facing Information (PDF).
- What Patients Need to Know About Wearing Face Masks (PDF).
The Ad Council and the COVID Collaborative, a coalition of the nation’s experts in health, education and the economy, have created a new resource designed to address health professional’s questions about COVID-19 vaccination. The video series was developed in collaboration with the AMA, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and other top health and medical institutions.
Hosted by AMA physician leaders, each installment of this webinar series aims to gain fact-based insights from the nation’s highest-ranking subject matter experts working to protect the health of the public, particularly during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Upcoming webinar: April 13, 2021
Dr. Peter Marks, MD, PhD, Director of the Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research at the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), joins AMA President Susan R. Bailey to discuss the most up-to-date information on the rollout of the Janssen Pharmaceuticals vaccine. Learn more.
COVID-19 vaccine safety & delivery webinar
The AMA welcomed back Peter Marks, MD, PhD, the director of the Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER) at the Food and Drug Administration to discuss the road ahead now that vaccines are available.
The webinar explored safety and efficacy data, and provided the latest updates on the distribution process.
Watch the recording on COVID-19 vaccine safety & delivery.
FDA review process for COVID-19 vaccine candidates webinar
In this webinar, AMA leaders and experts from the FDA provide a comprehensive overview of the COVID-19 vaccine and an inside look at the FDA development and approval process of a vaccine. Speakers also discuss the differences between the Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) and Biologic License Application (BLA) pathways.
Watch now or read the transcript on FDA review process for COVID-19 vaccine candidates.
CDC Update on COVID-19 vaccine development webinar
The purpose of this webinar discussion focuses on ways to help physicians and the public have a better understanding of the vaccine development process, as well as allocation and distribution of a vaccine, or vaccines, when they become available.
Watch now or read the transcript on CDC Update on COVID-19 vaccine development.
What physicians need to know about vaccine development webinar
Peter Marks, MD, PhD, the director of the Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER) at the Food and Drug Administration, discusses the latest developments on the road to effective COVID-19 vaccines, including a deep dive into the Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) process, specifically how the timeline has been shortened from a matter of years to a matter of months.
Watch now or read the transcript on What Physicians Need to Know About Vaccine Development.
Essential Tools & Resources
COVID-19: AMA's recent and ongoing advocacy efforts
Featured updates: COVID-19 resource center
JAMA Network™️ coronavirus resource center
COVID-19 FAQ: Your pressing questions answered
AMA guide to safely reopening your practice
COVID-19 health equity initiatives across the United States