AMA news & media coverage
The COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated the development and manufacturing of COVID-19 vaccines with recognition that safe and effective vaccine will be essential to reducing morbidity and mortality, and preventing future outbreaks. You can stay up to speed on the AMA’s COVID-19 advocacy efforts and track the fast-moving pandemic with the AMA's COVID-19 resource center, which offers a library of the most up-to-date resources from JAMA Network™, the CDC, and the World Health Organization.
- Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine earns FDA nod. Here’s what comes next: The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is OK’d for people 16 or older. Learn more with the AMA about what lies ahead.
- Why distributing a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine will be global challenge: Deciding which countries, and which workers, will get it first is fraught with tough decisions. Learn more with the AMA.
- 8 things doctors wish patients knew about flu shots: In the effort to avoid a “twindemic” of surging influenza and COVID-19 cases, widespread flu immunization is vital. Learn more with the AMA.
- Medical consensus: Follow evidence on coronavirus vaccine review: 78% of Americans are worried that politics will drive SARS-CoV-2 vaccine decision-making. Here’s how to make sure science carries the day.
- COVID-19 vaccine mandates: What physicians should know: Learn whether vaccine mandates will pass legal muster and what measures could be taken, short of such mandates, to encourage immunization against SARS-CoV-2.
- Dr. Fauci: Why FDA’s coronavirus vaccine review will be politics-free: Anthony S. Fauci, MD, details the layers of independent analysis involved in the review and approval of any vaccine to protect against SARS-CoV-2.
- AMA statement on recommendation for Moderna COVID-19 vaccine in U.S.: The recommendation approved by the CDC Director for the use of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine in the U.S. population is another major step toward vaccinating millions of people across the country.
- AMA announces additional CPT codes for COVID-19 vaccines: The Current Procedural Terminology (CPT®) code set is being updated by the CPT Editorial Panel to include immunization and administration codes that are unique to the COVID-19 vaccine under development by AstraZeneca and University of Oxford.
- AMA statement on FDA authorization of first COVID-19 vaccine: The decision by the FDA to grant an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for the first COVID-19 vaccine developed by is a monumental milestone.
- AMA, AHA, ANA back science-based COVID-19 vaccine process, urge vigilance: As COVID-19 vaccine development continues to progress, leading U.S. medical, nursing and health organizations affirmed their commitment to ensuring COVID-19 vaccines are evaluated and ultimately authorized.
- AMA statement on COVID-19 vaccine allocation recommendations: The AMA commends the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) for their efforts to ensure equitable allocation of COVID-19 vaccines as soon as they become available.
- AMA policy aimed at combatting misinformation about COVID-19 vaccines: With misinformation about the COVID-19 vaccine development process circulating widely, physicians at the Special Meeting of the AMA House of Delegates adopted policy aimed at educating physicians on speaking with patients about COVID-19 vaccination.
- AMA statement on framework for equitable COVID-19 vaccine allocation: The AMA applauds the National Academy of Medicine’s Committee on Equitable Allocation of Vaccine for the Novel Coronavirus work to develop the framework for equitable allocation of COVID-19 vaccine.
- AMA strongly urges FDA transparency in COVID-19 vaccine development: With COVID-19 vaccine development moving at a rapid pace, the AMA is urging the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to work more closely with the physician community to develop a plan for further education and transparency surrounding COVID-19 vaccine candidates.