Members of the Senior Physicians Section (SPS) have a unique opportunity to shape AMA policy and action on issues critical to senior physicians.
New to the policymaking process? Access our education module, How AMA Policy is Made, to learn how SPS members influence the AMA’s policymaking efforts.
Continue reading to learn how you can contribute to the policymaking activities of the SPS.
Deadline April 1
SPS members are invited to submit resolution ideas for consideration by the SPS Governing Council. Submit a resolution idea by April 1 for consideration at the 2024 Annual Meeting.
Although proposed resolutions on any topic will be given consideration, areas of concern noted by the governing council include:
- Prospects for life span extension
- Promoting health equity in aging
- Healthcare for seniors in rural and small-town settings
- Climate change and aging
- Private equity investment in health care
The governing council’s initial review of all resolution idea proposals will focus on:
- Does the resolution pertain to the section?
- Does the proposal duplicate any existing AMA policy? Visit the AMA PolicyFinder to see if AMA policy already exists on your resolution idea.
If you would like help with your proposed resolution idea, contact our delegate, Virginia (Ginny) E. Hall, MD, or alternate delegate, Douglas M. DeLong, MD, at [email protected] for assistance.
Please plan to discuss your SPS resolution idea proposal at the virtual SPS assembly.
Online member forum open April 8-19
SPS members are invited to review and comment on policy proposals in advance of each SPS virtual assembly meeting via the online member forum.
All feedback will help in determining the appropriate actions for the virtual SPS meeting.
April 30, 7 p.m. Central
The SPS assembly convenes in a virtual format each April and September to develop consensus opinions on SPS-sponsored resolutions. The next virtual SPS assembly meeting will be held April 30, 2024 and includes a review and discussion of feedback from the online member forum as well as updates from SPS leadership.
Registration will open shortly.
- PolicyFinder: search for policies adopted by the AMA House of Delegates
- Federal and State Correspondence Finder: search for AMA testimony, comment letters and sign-on letters
- Litigation Center Case Summary Finder: search for information on AMA Litigation Center cases
- SPS Internal Operating Procedures (PDF)
- AMA Constitution and Bylaws