New Current Procedural Terminology (CPT®) codes have been created that streamline the reporting of immunizations for the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2, also known as COVID-19).
The CPT Editorial Panel has approved addition of six Category I codes (0001A, 0002A, 0011A, 0012A, 91300, 91301), new and revised guidelines and parenthetical notes, and a new Appendix Q.
These CPT codes, developed based on extensive collaboration with Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), are unique for each of two coronavirus vaccines as well as administration codes unique to each such vaccine and dose. The new CPT codes clinically distinguish each COVID-19 vaccine for better tracking, reporting and analysis that supports data-driven planning and allocation.
With this newest release of SARS-CoV-2-related CPT codes, along with releasing the standard code descriptor PDF, we are also releasing an easy to use Excel file of just the SARS-CoV-2-related CPT codes. The file contains the SARS-CoV-2-related CPT codes released since the 2021 data file release on Aug. 31, 2020 and includes:
- CPT code descriptors (long, medium, and short)
- Published date
- Effective date
- Type of change.
As new SARS-CoV-2-related CPT codes are approved by the CPT Editorial Panel, the AMA will publish updates to these files.
- Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) vaccine: Long descriptors (PDF)
- Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) vaccine : Medium descriptors (PDF)
- Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) vaccine: Short descriptors (PDF)
- CPT code file sheet —Download the CPT emergency release COVID-19 code file
- Appendix Q—Appendix Q chart is a quick reference guide to easily showcase the coding structure for SARS-CoV-2 vaccine CPT reporting. (PDF)
CPT Assistant provides fact sheets for coding guidance for new SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19)-related vaccine codes.
The fact sheets include:
- Codes, descriptors and purpose
- Clinical examples
- Description of the procedures
Download the November special edition of the CPT Assistant guide (PDF, includes information on SARS-CoV-2 Vaccines)