New Current Procedural Terminology (CPT®) codes have been created that streamline the reporting of orthopoxvirus and monkeypox testing and immunizations currently available on the United States market.
The CPT Editorial Panel has approved addition of code 87593 to report orthopoxvirus detection by nucleic acid using amplified probe technique.
87593: Infectious agent detection by nucleic acid (DNA or RNA); orthopoxvirus (e.g., monkeypox virus, cowpox virus, vaccinia virus), amplified probe technique, each
Review and download the full CPT code descriptor release.
- Orthopoxvirus Long Code Descriptors (PDF, updated July 26, 2022)
- Orthopoxvirus Medium Code Descriptors (PDF, updated July 26, 2022)
- Orthopoxvirus Short Code Descriptors (PDF, updated July 26, 2022)
The CPT Editorial Panel has approved addition of accepted addition of code 90622 to identify vaccinia (smallpox) virus vaccine product; and addition of code 90611 to identify monkeypox and smallpox virus vaccine product.
90611: Smallpox and monkeypox vaccine, attenuated vaccinia virus, live, non-replicating, preservative free, 0.5 mL dosage, suspension, for subcutaneous use
90622: Vaccinia (smallpox) virus vaccine, live, lyophilized, 0.3 mL dosage, for percutaneous use
Category I vaccine descriptors immunizations
- Category I Vaccine Long Code Descriptors (PDF, updated July 26, 2022)
- Category I Vaccine Medium Code Descriptors (PDF, updated July 26, 2022)
- Category I Vaccine Short Code Descriptors (PDF, updated July 26, 2022)
Please visit the early release page for additional information on Category I codes.
CPT Assistant provides fact sheets for coding guidance for new related orthopoxvirus and monkeypox testing and immunization codes.
- CPT Assistant guide: Monkeypox; July 2022 (PDF, includes information on codes 87593, 90611, 90622)
Access additional AMA content about monkeypox and smallpox.
CPT © Copyright 2021 American Medical Association. All rights reserved. AMA and CPT are registered trademarks of the American Medical Association.