Moderna COVID-19 vaccine
Moderna received emergency use authorization (EUA) by the FDA for their mRNA vaccine for COVID-19 on Dec. 20, 2020.
Moderna has also received an EUA for administration of a single COVID-19 vaccine booster dose for all individuals 18 years of age and older six months after completion of a Moderna primary series. Individuals who received the J&J vaccine can receive a Moderna booster two months after the completion of their primary vaccine and those who received the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for their primary series can receive a Moderna booster five months after completion of their primary vaccine series.
The other approved/authorized mRNA COVID-19 vaccine and booster dose available is produced by Pfizer-BioNTech. Johnson & Johnson-owned Janssen Pharmaceuticals offers an authorized SARS-CoV-2 viral vector vaccine and booster dose, however, mRNA COVID-19 vaccines are preferred for the primary series and booster dose, over the J&J COVID-19 vaccine for the prevention of COVID-19 for those 18 years of age and older due to the risk of rare adverse events such as thrombosis with thrombocytopenia (TTS).
Find clinical vaccine guidance from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other health organizations.
- The FDA has issued an EUA to permit the emergency use of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine for the prevention of COVID-19 in individuals 18 years of age and older.
- Fact Sheet for Healthcare Providers Administering the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine.
Learn more about FDA information on COVID-19 vaccines and the FDA's Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee.
- Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine Overview and Safety
- CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report: The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices’ Interim Recommendation for Use of Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine—United States, December 2020
- Myocarditis and Pericarditis Following mRNA COVID-19 Vaccination
- Clinical Considerations: Myocarditis and Pericarditis after Receipt of mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines Among Adolescents and Young Adults
Learn more about the CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices. The CDC offers a guide on preparing for COVID-19 vaccination for health care professionals and a COVID-19 vaccination communications tool kit for medical centers, clinics and clinicians.
Featured AMA news and media
Explore featured AMA news and media about the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, including the AMA COVID-19 Video Update.
AMA COVID-19 Video Update
- Statement on CDC guidelines for boosters, mixing COVID-19 vaccines
- AMA statement on recommendation for Moderna COVID-19 vaccine in U.S.