The Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen (J&J) SARS-CoV-2 viral vector vaccine is the third COVID-19 vaccine that received emergency use authorization (EUA) by the FDA.
J&J has also received an EUA for administration of a single COVID-19 vaccine booster dose for individuals 18 years of age and older, two months after completion of the J&J primary series, five months after completion of the Pfizer-BioNTech primary series or six months after completion of the Moderna primary series.
However, mRNA COVID-19 vaccines are preferred for the primary series and booster dose, over the J&J COVID-19 vaccine for the prevention of COVID-19 for those 18 years of age and older due to the risk of rare adverse events such as thrombosis with thrombocytopenia (TTS).
Find clinical vaccine guidance from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other health organizations.
- The FDA has issued an EUA to permit the emergency use of the Janssen COVID-19 vaccine for the prevention of COVID-19 in individuals 18 years of age and older.
- The FDA has issued an amended EUA with warnings and precautions for TTS.
- Fact Sheet for Healthcare Providers Administering the Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine.
Learn more about FDA information on COVID-19 vaccines and the FDA's Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee.
- CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report: Updated Recommendations from the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices for Use of the Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) COVID-19 Vaccine After Reports of Thrombosis with Thrombocytopenia Syndrome Among Vaccine Recipients—United States, April 2021.
- CDC HAN: Cases of Cerebral Venous Sinus Thrombosis with Thrombocytopenia after Receipt of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine (includes recommendations for clinicians).
- American Society of Hematology Guidance: Thrombosis with Thrombocytopenia Syndrome (also termed Vaccine-induced Thrombotic Thrombocytopenia).
Learn more about the CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices. The CDC offers a guide on preparing for COVID-19 vaccination for health care professionals and a COVID-19 vaccination communications tool kit for medical centers, clinics and clinicians.
Explore featured AMA news and media about the Janssen/J&J COVID-19 vaccine, including the AMA COVID-19 Video Update.
AMA COVID-19 Video Update
- Sandra Fryhofer, MD, discusses new J&J vaccine recommendations
- Sandra Fryhofer, MD, on lifting of J&J/Janssen vaccine pause
- Susan Bailey, MD, on what physicians need to know about J&J vaccine
- Sandra Fryhofer, MD, on the J&J Janssen COVID-19 vaccine pause
- Logistical pluses of Janssen vaccine & a look at vaccine for kids
- Mira Irons, MD, details the new Janssen COVID-19 vaccine
AMA webinar series: What physicians need to know about COVID-19 vaccines
- Moderna and J&J COVID-19 vaccine boosters: What doctors must know
- What doctors wish patients knew about the Johnson & Johnson vaccine
- J&J vaccine and brain blood clots: What physicians should know
Essential Tools & Resources
Featured updates: COVID-19 resource center
Get the news you need with COVID-19 Update on YouTube
Stay informed on the latest COVID-19 vaccine updates
COVID-19 Vaccine Script for Patient Inquiries
COVID-19: Health equity resources
COVID-19: AMA's recent and ongoing advocacy efforts