Do you have an idea for a resolution or have an issue that should be discussed? Consider drafting a resolution for the Women Physicians Section (WPS). Resolutions must be submitted to the WPS by March 30 for the Annual Meeting and Aug. 30 for the Interim Meeting. Please email questions to [email protected].
Get Involved in Women Physicians Section (WPS) Policymaking
Submitting a Resolution
Each resolution submitted to the WPS will result in either an action by the governing council or a resolution to the AMA House of Delegates (HOD).
Submit a resolution that offers a clear directive to the governing council, that seeks to create new AMA policy, or that seeks to amend existing AMA policy.
Once a resolution is submitted to the HOD, or the governing council undertakes the desired action and reports back to the WPS membership, the adopted resolution will sunset.
Resolutions will not be accepted if:
- Additional resources are needed—unless the resolution asks the WPS to request the AMA to implement a similar project.
- An identical resolution already exists—duplicate resolutions will be discussed in the AMA House of Delegates Handbook Review Session to determine official WPS action.
To ensure your resolution has the best chance for adoption, follow these guidelines:
- Make certain that the proposed action benefits physicians and/or their patients, or women physician members in particular.
- Review the AMA PolicyFinder to determine whether current policy already exists.
- Make sure that the resolution’s title appropriately reflects the action for which the resolution calls.
- The resolved portion of the resolution must be a definitive statement that is able to stand alone.
- Include a fiscal note. WPS staff can assist with the development of fiscal information.
WPS Online Forum
Participate in the WPS online forum from April 9 through April 16, 11:45 p.m. Central, and weigh in on section resolutions to be considered at the upcoming HOD Annual Meeting. Invitations will be emailed (via SurveyMonkey) on a rolling basis to WPS members with instructions for accessing and participating in the forum.
As part of the policymaking process, section members will also have an opportunity to ratify the resolutions considered on April 19. Ratified WPS resolutions will be submitted to the HOD.
WPS Policy Committees
The WPS Policymaking Committee is responsible for generating resolution ideas and working with the WPS delegate and alternate delegate to draft and/or review potential resolutions for the HOD meetings. Individuals joining the committee are requested to make a 1-year commitment. Please contact the WPS by Feb. 20 to join this committee.
The WPS HOD Handbook Review Committee convenes prior to each WPS business meeting to review items of business that are referred to each HOD reference committee. Interested individuals should contact the WPS by April 30 to review items for the 2018 Annual Meeting.
To volunteer for one of these committees, submit your contact information and first, second and third choice of committee preferences.