The House of Delegates (HOD) includes well over 600 voting delegates (and a corresponding number of alternate delegates), all of whom are members of the AMA and who have been selected by the organization they represent, such as state or territorial medical associations, national medical specialty organizations, professional interest medical associations, the federal services and the AMA’s member sections. Some organizations are also allowed to officially observe the proceedings of the HOD, although they are not able to vote.
The election materials for the current year will be available on the HOD's meeting web page eight weeks prior to the meeting.
Delegate apportionment for 2022 is based on year-end 2021 membership data, which for the purposes of apportionment includes "pending members," that is, physicians who were not members in 2021 but who paid dues in the 2021 calendar year for 2022 membership.
An issue that arose this year concerns those members whose dues are paid by an employer, institution, or other entity. In these cases, the entity paying the dues submits a roster of those whose dues are included. If the roster is submitted by Dec. 31 one year but after Jan. 1 the following year, the pending member count is affected, and in fact, much of the decline from 2021 to this year was due exactly to this phenomenon. While AMA’s official membership figures are not affected, the apportionment process is. The current freeze, however, left the overall size of the House unchanged this year. The House of Delegates will seat 693 delegates during 2022.
Apportionment figures are provided for:
- Constituent societies
- National medical specialty societies
- AMWA, AOA, NMA, federal services, AMA sections, and professional interest medical associations.
- Delegate Roles and Responsibilities: Read more about the qualifications to be a delegate in the AMA HOD.
- House of Delegates Official Observers: Discover how to become an official observer at HOD meetings.
- Access the HOD Pictorial Directory to find delegate contact information
- Member Organizations of the AMA HOD: Learn who the member organizations are that send delegates to the HOD.
- Find information on the Specialty and Service Society Caucus, including the meeting agenda, guidelines for admission, governing council and what societies are included.