The purpose of the AMA Women Physicians Section (WPS) is to increase the number and influence of women physicians in leadership roles.
There are more than 90,000 female members of the AMA.
As an advocate for women’s health, the WPS identifies issues and communicates through a network of women leaders identified by their state or specialty societies to serve in the role of WPS Associate.
Annual and Interim Business Meetings
Read highlights from the WPS Annual Business Meeting. The WPS Interim Meeting will be held virtually on Nov. 8. Registration for the Interim Meeting will open soon.
Women in Medicine Month
Each September, the AMA commemorates the accomplishments of women physicians as well as highlight advocacy related to women physicians and health issues impacting women patients. The 2020 theme is "Women in Medicine: Advancing Equity, Creating Change.”
Visit the Women in Medicine page for more information on key resources and activities, such as the Inspiration Award.
Get involved with policymaking
Do you have an idea for a resolution (DOCX) or want to bring forward an issue for discussion? Consider drafting a resolution (DOCX) for consideration by the WPS. Submit resolutions to the WPS by March 30 for the WPS Annual Business Meeting and by August 30 for the WPS Interim Business Meeting.
Learn more about ways to share your expertise on important policy topics by engaging in the online forum and the WPS policymaking committees.
Become a member
The WPS represents nearly 90,000 women physicians and medical students. All women AMA members are automatically members of the WPS. Additionally, male AMA members are welcome to opt-in to become WPS members.
For any member that wishes to “opt-out” of membership in the WPS, please contact us.
Goals of the WPS
Members of the WPS strive to accomplish the following goals:
- Provide a forum for networking, mentoring, advocacy and leadership development for women physicians and medical students.
- Contribute to AMA efforts to increase the membership, participation and leadership of women in the AMA.
- Monitor trends while identifying and addressing emerging professional issues affecting women in medicine.
- Expand AMA advocacy on women’s health and women in medicine policy issues.
- Enhance AMA cooperation and collaboration with organizations with mutual concerns, including the American Medical Women’s Association and other women physician groups.
Questions regarding the WPS should be sent to [email protected].