The Academic Physicians Section (APS) meets semiannually in June and November. Section members debate and reach consensus on reports and resolutions to be acted upon during the Annual and Interim Meetings of the AMA House of Delegates (HOD). This work guides the APS's delegate and alternate delegate in the discussions and voting during the AMA House of Delegates meetings.
In addition to reviewing and reaching consensus on HOD items, the Academic Physicians Section can bring resolutions to the AMA House of Delegates. Since its founding in 1976, the APS has developed 170 resolutions that the House of Delegates has adopted as AMA policy. These resolutions are directly related to specific concerns and interests of academic physicians and the medical education community.
Some recent examples are:
- Impact of Competency-based Medical Education Programs as Opposed to Time-based Programs
- Assessing the Impact of Limited GME Residency Positions in the Match
- Removal of the Cap on Graduate Medical Education Positions
- Competition for Clinical Training Sites
- Support for Graduate Medical Education
Find Current and Past AMA Policies
Visit the AMA PolicyFinder, a searchable database for all AMA policy, to see AMA positions and policies since the Association’s inception.