The private practice model is an attractive option for physicians who seek to provide more personalized medical care for their patients. This collection of AMA STEPS Forward® Practice Innovation Strategies offers the resources and support physicians need to both start and sustain a successful private practice.
Private Practice Playbook
The goal of this playbook is to offer foundational knowledge on private practice to allow physicians to enter meaningful conversations with professional advisors and peers.
Throughout the 20th century, small independent physician-owned primary care practices formed the bedrock of the health care system in the United States. […] evidence shows that they deliver care that is equal to or better than that of practices owned by hospitals and health systems.
Learn more and get the playbook (PDF).
Private Practice Simple Solutions
Free, open access rapid learning cycles designed to provide opportunities to implement actionable changes that can immediately increase efficiency in private practices.
Resources on topics ranging from workflow and payment to telemedicine and team-based care, among others, are available to help private practices navigate their current environment.
- Revenue Cycle Management
- AMA private practice sustainability
- Team-Based Care
- What to Look for in Your First or Next Practice
Access interactive instruction from experts who address practical, actionable strategies to transform your practice.
- Dr. Omar Maniya on leaving the frontlines for private practice: Dr. Omar Maniya, an emergency physician who went from the frontlines of the pandemic to family practice, discusses his journey and what private practices can do to stay successful.
- Todd Askew on proposed rule for Medicare Physician Fee Schedule: A discussion with Todd Askew, AMA senior vice president of advocacy, about the recently released proposed rule for the 2022 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule.
- Dr. Kathy Blake shares findings on successful private practices: Dr. Kathleen Blake shares new research on what makes high-performing physician practices so successful and where more support for private practices is needed.
Hear health care leaders share how they overcame practice challenges by implementing real-world strategies and solutions.
- The Private Practice Playbook: How to Join, Build, or Sustain a Private Practice (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Thriving in Private Practice Podcast Series (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- What to Look for in Your First or Next Practice (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Medical Assistant Recruitment and Retention (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Keys to Hiring a Practice Manager (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Customer Service Is Key To Your Practice’s Success (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Why Do You Want To Start Your Own Private Practice? (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
Look for more insights on adopting new payment models, the value of private practice and more.
Whether you’re considering private practice or already working independently, the AMA has the practice model education resources you need to start and sustain success.
- 7 STEPS to Starting a Private Practice (PDF)
- The AMA path to private practice
- Create a personal online physician brand that works
- Direct-to-employer arrangements
- Payment models
- E&M revisions
- Billing, payment & prior authorization
- Making tough decisions: Managing the practice’s employee costs
- 8 keys to succeeding as a physician in private practice
- The AMA helps sustain the viability of private practice
- Additional resources for private practices
Delve into examinations of changes in physician practice arrangements and methods for compensating physicians.