A supportive and honest culture is crucial to effect change in your practice. This collection of AMA STEPS Forward® Practice Innovation Strategies offers proven approaches on how to successfully lead and manage change initiatives, empower your team and drive tangible results.
The behaviors of health care leaders influence the organizational culture, which is a powerful driver of well-being for health care professionals. Successful leaders are confident in their position, willing to tackle difficult problems and bold enough to explore diverse views to help find new approaches and solutions.
These curated toolkits provide interactive instruction to address practical, actionable strategies to transform your practice.
- Listening Campaigns
- Racial and Health Equity: Concrete STEPS for Smaller Practices and Health Systems
- Change Initiatives
- Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA)
- Lean Health Care
- Change Management and Organizational Development
- Getting Rid of Stupid Stuff
- Appreciative Inquiry Principles
Empowering your team
- Cultivating Leadership
- Medical Assistant Professional Development
- Medical Assistant Recruitment and Retention
Team culture and support
- Collective Trauma Toolkit: Respond Effectively as an Organization
- Building Bridges Between Practicing Physicians and Administrators
- Caring for the Health Care Workforce During Crisis
- Establishing a Chief Wellness Officer Position
- Chief Wellness Officer Road Map
- Team Culture
- Creating the Organizational Foundation for Joy in Medicine™
- Peer Support Programs for Physicians
Explore how to successfully lead and manage change initiatives, empower your team and drive tangible results.
Find how measuring, assessing and cultivating positive leader behaviors can improve professional well-being and retention.
- This is My Story: A Humanistic Approach to Care (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- No One Left Behind: Expanded Peer Support and Second Victim Syndrome (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- How to Master Communicating with the Most Challenging Personalities in your Life (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- How to Handle Challenging Emotions—in Ourselves, Patients, and Those We Lead (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Supporting Physician Wellness in an ER Environment (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- A Search for Inclusive Health Care: One Physician Parent’s Journey (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Health Equity: The Importance of Building Trust (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Creating Safe and Welcoming Environments for LGBTQ+ Patients (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Training Medical Assistants as Encounter Specialists (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Creating A Culture That Supports Well-Being (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Racial and Health Equity: Five Concrete STEPS (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Four Key Questions Leaders Should Ask Clinicians During COVID-19 Recovery and Beyond (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Cultivating Leadership (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Building Bridges (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
Access the latest research on medical practice organization well-being and best practices.
- Physician perception of pay fairness and its association with work satisfaction, intent to leave current practice, and personal health (Journal of General Internal Medicine)
- Characteristics of Healthcare Organizations Associated with Clinician Trust: Results from the Healthy Work Place Study (JAMA Network)
- Organizational Promising Practices for Improving Clinician Well-being (National Academy of Medicine)