Physician well-being is influenced by both organizational and individual factors. This collection of AMA STEPS Forward® Practice Innovation Strategies offers proven approaches on how to engage health system leadership, understanding physician burnout and how to address it, and developing a culture that supports physician well-being.
Toolkits and playbooks
With a majority of American physicians experiencing some signs of burnout, it is a condition that affects all specialties and all practice settings. AMA's open-access toolkits offer innovative strategies that allow physicians and their staff to address physician burnout and thrive in the health care environment.
- Caring for the Health Care Workforce During Crisis
- Chief Wellness Officer Road Map
- Creating the Organizational Foundation for Joy in Medicine™
- Establishing a Chief Wellness Officer Position
- Hospitalist Well-Being
- Listening Campaign: Engage Physicians to Uncover Sources of Burnout
- Medical Student Well-Being
- Peer Support Programs for Physicians
- Physician Burnout
- Physician Well-Being
- Preventing Physician Suicide
- Resident and Fellow Burnout
- Scholars of Wellness
- Stress First Aid for Health Care Professionals
- Taming the EHR Playbook
Learn from proven approaches on how to streamline workflows, boost patient satisfaction and cut down on stress.
Hear health care leaders share how they overcame practice challenges by implementing real-world solutions for physician burnout.
- How a Telephone Consultation Model Eased Call Burden for Frontline Specialists (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Supporting Physician Wellness in an ER Environment (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Reframing Compassion Fatigue: Compassion as a Tool for Combating Burnout (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- No One Left Behind: Expanded Peer Support and Second Victim Syndrome (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Mental Health Counseling for Physicians and APPs (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Elevating Joy and Meaning in Medicine (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Three Simple STEPS for Diagnosing Your Own Mental Patterns (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Reducing Pajama Time and Work Outside of Work (WOW) (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Setting Boundaries (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Creating A Culture That Supports Well-Being (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- How a Chief Wellness Officer Manages His Own Burnout (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Well-Being Programming for Resident Physicians and Clinical Fellows (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Creating a Peer Support Program (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Physician Burnout: One Doctor’s Story (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
Articles assess the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on physician stress and mental health and the relationship between being a physician and risk for burnout.
- Changes in Burnout and Satisfaction With Work-Life Integration in Physicians Over the First 2 Years of the COVID-19 Pandemic (Mayo Clinic Proceedings)
- Prevalence and correlates of stress and burnout among U.S. healthcare workers during the COVID-19 pandemic: A national cross-sectional survey study (The Lancet)
- Self Valuation Challenges in the Culture and Practice of Medicine and Physician Wellbeing (Mayo Clinic Proceedings)
- Changes in Burnout and Satisfaction With Work-Life Integration in Physicians and the General US Working Population between 2011-2017 (Mayo Clinic Proceedings)
- Preliminary Report: US Physician Stress During the Early Days of the COVID-19 Pandemic (Mayo Clinic Proceedings)