At the state level, the AMA shapes the policy of influential national policymaking organizations, partners with outside experts and stakeholder groups and influences the enactment and/or defeat of state legislation and regulations.
The American Medical Association Advocacy Resource Center is a tireless advocate for physicians and their patients. We roll up our sleeves—providing cutting edge strategies, expert counseling on best practices and turn-key resources and tools—to help state lawmakers respond to the rapidly evolving health care system. In coordination with state and national medical specialty societies, our work has resulted in the enactment and/or defeat of hundreds of proposed state laws and regulations.
Learn about the AMA’s state legislative and regulatory priorities, including recent advocacy achievements.
- 2022 state legislative preview survey results (PDF)
- 2021 mid-year legislative review (PDF)
- 2020-2021 AMA advocacy efforts
- Physician health and wellness (PDF)
- Protecting physician practices (PDF)
- Ensuring health insurance competition
- CVS-Aetna merger
- State medical liability reform
- Physician-led team-based care
- Nation’s drug overdose epidemic
- Reducing administrative barriers to care
- Improving provider networks & access to care
- Public health improvement
- Strengthening Medicaid
- Scope of practice
- Telemedicine & mobile apps
- The business of medicine
- Truth in advertising
- AMA model bills
- Federal & state correspondence finder
- Economic impact study
For contact information, please view the ARC staff directory (PDF).