A new CPT® code has been created that streamlines novel coronavirus testing offered by hospitals, health systems and laboratories in the United States.
The code is effective March 13, 2020 for use as the industry standard for reporting of novel coronavirus tests across the nation’s health care system.
Please note that, per the standard early release delivery process for CPT codes, you will need to manually upload this code descriptor into your EHR system. This CPT code will arrive as part of the complete CPT code set in the data file for 2021 later this year.
Review and download the full CPT code descriptor release.
Category I/Pathology and Laboratory/Microbiology
- Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2): Long descriptor (PDF)
- Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2): Medium descriptor (PDF)
- Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2): Short descriptor (PDF)
The CPT Editorial Panel approved the code at a special, expedited meeting held, via telephone, on Friday, March 13, 2020.
CPT® Assistant provides guidance for new code
CPT Assistant is providing a fact sheet for coding guidance for the SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) test in relation to the use of the new CPT code.
The fact sheet includes:
- Code, descriptor and purpose
- A clinical example
- Description of the procedure
Coding advice and testing guides
- Quick reference flow chart for CPT reporting for COVID-19 testing (PDF)
- Coding scenarios and how to apply best coding practices (PDF)
CPT © Copyright 2020 American Medical Association. All rights reserved. AMA and CPT are registered trademarks of the American Medical Association.