Annually, the Medical Student Section regions host Physicians of the Future Summits which allow for educational programs and further discussion on policy development relevant to each region and its membership.
In 2022 the region summits were held virtually Feb. 5.
We heard from guest speakers Hilary Fairbrother, MD, Nandini Mandlik, MD, and Ghazaleh Moayedi, MD, for the Journeys in Medical Advocacy Keynote Panel.
Over 30 students from Region 3 presented ignite-style talks and posters on all sorts of advocacy-related topics.
- The talks covered a wide range of topics including health literacy, advocacy, service, and disabilities. Congratulations to the Ignite talks first place winners: Whitney Stuard and Naimah Sarwar, as well as runner-up, Sanam Bhakta.
- Poster breakout sessions focused on medical education, basic science and clinical research, and advocacy. Congratulations to the poster competition winners: Peter Park (basic science & clinical research), Maya Ramy (medical education) and Zacharcy Simpson (advocacy).
These students were also recognized by their peers for their hard work and dedication:
- Excellence in Advocacy Award: Jenna Gage, Swetha Maddipudi, Ida Vaziri
- Mentor of the Year: Melanie Baker, Rajadhar Reddy, Natasha Topolski
- New Member Outstanding Involvement Award: Anand Singh, Bo Steele, Will DeVries, Heidi Ventresca
- Project of the Year: Maroon Health Clinic (Texas A&M University College of Medicine—Dixita Viswanath)
This year all regions convened for a joint session on Feb. 5 from noon.-2 p.m. Central, which was followed by separate region summits.
See the agenda tab for more information on the region 3 summit, or download the PDF.
The summit was held on the Zoom platform.
Visit the other region summit pages for details of their events.
- Physicians of the Future Summit—Region 1
- Physicians of the Future Summit—Region 2
- Physicians of the Future Summit—Region 4
- Physicians of the Future Summit—Region 5
- Physicians of the Future Summit—Region 6
- Physicians of the Future Summit—Region 7
Joint session agenda (Central time)
12:00 pm - 12:30 pm
GRAF and BOT updates
Brittany Ikwuagwu, MSS Government Relations Advocacy Fellow; Drayton Harvey, student member on AMA Board of Trustees
12:30 pm - 1:00 pm
1:00 pm - 1:30 pm
1:30 pm - 2:00 pm
Region 3 agenda (Central time)
2:15 pm - 2:30 pm
2:30 pm - 2:45 pm
R3 resolution update
Melanie Baker and Alwyn Mathew, Region 3 policy chairs
2:45 pm - 3:00 pm
Ignite-style talks: Session 1
3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Keynote address panel
4:00 pm - 4:15 pm
Ignite-style talks: Session 2
4:15 pm - 4:30 pm
4:30 pm - 4:50 pm
Student poster presentations
4:50 pm - 5:20 pm
Local campus section highlights
5:20 pm - 5:30 pm