Patients prefer care led by physicians. In a recent study, 95% of patients said it’s important for a physician to be involved in their diagnosis and treatment.
The AMA vigorously defends the practice of medicine against scope of practice expansions that threaten patient safety.
- The AMA collaborates with state medical associations and national medical specialty societies to stop legislation attempting to expand the scope of practice of non-physician providers.
- AMA’s Health Workforce Mapper provides data showing that scope expansions have not improved access to care or alleviated workforce shortages in rural areas.
- The AMA creates policies through its House of Delegates that solidify and project the AMA’s stance on scope of practice issues.
- In all its efforts, the AMA highlights the rigorous training physicians undergo and why that makes them ideal to lead patient care teams.
- The AMA offers access to hundreds of scope-of-practice advocacy tools, including issue briefs, model legislation, state law charts and detailed data modules.
Become a member and help the AMA defend against scope of practice expansions that threaten patient safety.
- The AMA offers members a wide range of benefits and discounts, as well as opportunities to add your voice to the effort.