The AMA Health Workforce Mapper is a free, customizable, interactive tool that illustrates the geographic distribution of the health care workforce. It gives you the data needed to help ensure our country's patients have access to quality health care. Whether looking at state, county or metropolitan area data, users can filter physicians and non-physician health care professionals by specialty and employment setting.
AMA members can view a comprehensive version of the tool that includes the capacity to export a customizable Excel file that ranks the health care workforce and demographic data by county.
Build Visualizations of the Health Care Workforce
You can create visually persuasive stories that will enrich workforce advocacy efforts. You can use the tool to view where physicians practice and build layers of patient health, demographic and health policy data.
The AMA Health Workforce Mapper can be used to distinguish possible areas of both deficiency and overlap, and to identify high-priority areas for workforce expansion. With this tool, users can:
- Demonstrate to law- or policy-makers the geographic distribution of the health care workforce to assist them in making appropriate, evidence-based decisions.
- Identify areas of potential need for certain medical specialties for purposes of creating effective workforce strategies to expand patient access to care.
- View locations of hospitals, rural health clinics, and other health care facilities.
- View geographic features, including highways, mountain ranges and waterways, that may have an impact on the distribution of health care professionals and facilities.
- View the new Patient Health Explorer which provides a rich supply of patient health data, including morbidity and mortality rates, information on patient health behaviors and social environment, health care access and quality data.
The AMA Health Workforce Mapper was developed in collaboration with the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) Robert Graham Center.
Please contact HealthLandscape for troubleshooting and technical questions related to the Health Workforce Mapper.
Please contact Wendy Holmes for general questions about the Health Workforce Mapper and AMA advocacy related to the health care workforce.