The highly technical and always-changing nature of coding can challenge even the most experienced people. The AMA has a number of resources to help accurately bill procedures and services with Current Procedural Terminology (CPT®) and Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) codes.
CPT Professional Edition
Only the AMA, with the help of physicians and other health care experts, create and maintain the CPT code set. And only CPT® Professional Edition can provide the official guidelines to code medical services and procedures properly. Users can also request a CPT Data File license, which makes it easy to import codes and descriptions into electronic systems.
The newsletter is a must-have for users of the CPT® Professional codebook. Every month, subscribers can keep abreast of the latest codes, trends and resources to help answer many coding-related questions. Subscribe to CPT Assistant Newsletter. Or opt for the convenience of an online newsletter experience by subscribing to CPT Assistant Online. This Web-based format offers robust search capabilities, monthly updates, and unlimited access for all CPT Assistant newsletters published since 1990.
CPT network and knowledge base for coding inquiries
Quickly research a database of commonly asked questions, use the knowledge base, view clinical examples (vignettes) and submit an electronic inquiry directly to CPT experts. Register now or log in to select a package, start using the knowledge base or submit an electronic inquiry.
Relative Value (RVU) search
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services offer a free search for Relative Value Units (RVU) for every CPT code.
Users can also request a CPT/RVU Data File license from the AMA to easily import codes and descriptions into existing claims and medical billing systems.
All AMA print resources are available in eBook format.
- HCPCS Level II Professional Edition: By having access to the most current HCPCS codes and regulations, medical billing can be more precise, leading to maximum reimbursement. Users can also request an HCPCS Data File license to receive the codes electronically.
- CPT® QuickRef: This free mobile app helps physicians and qualified health care professionals select some of the most frequently used and arguably difficult to assign codes: the evaluation and management codes. Pair the app with a CPT codebook and gain free access to all in-app purchases. Download on the App Store or get it on Google Play.
- Express Reference Coding Cards for CPT® 2017: Easy-to-use reference cards help health care providers and their staff quickly and easily find a code. Twenty specialty cards are available.
- Principles of CPT® Coding, ninth edition: The new full-color design of the illustrated ninth edition offers readers a more engaging andfar superior educational experience. Part 1 provides guidance on proper code application within each section of the codebook. Part 2 contains new chapters detailing the connection between and application of accurate coding, NCCI edits, and HIPAA regulations to documentation, payment, insurance, and fraud and abuse avoidance.
- CPT® Changes: An Insider's View: Gain a deeper understanding of updates made to the CPT codebook with rationales for, and implications of, the changes and more.
- CPT® Coding Essentials: Each of the eight titles within this series focuses on a subset of specialty-specific CPT codes and provides plain English descriptors, RVUs, modifiers, CCI edits, related HCPCS codes, ICD-10 crosswalks, and more. With these books, readers will better understand the relationship of medical necessity and reimbursement to a specific CPT code.
- Medicare RBRVS: The Physicians' Guide: This invaluable reference provides the insights, tools and tables needed to understand the Resource-Based Relative Value Scale (RBRVS) and how to easily calculate payment schedules accurately.
- Netter's Atlas of Surgical Anatomy for CPT® Coding: Boost anatomical knowledge within the context of CPT codes using integrated instructions and illustrations that provide an unparalleled degree of completeness and educational value.
- Coding With Modifiers, fifth edition: Real-life modifiers scenarios and redacted medical records guide correct CPT and HCPCS modifier usage so as to avoid costly payment delays and denials.
- AMA also publishes a library of ICD-10 titles to help users better understand the increased number of codes and enhanced code specificity of the ICD-10 code set.
CPT® is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association.