AMA-member physicians can join the Academic Physicians Section through three avenues:
- Dean-appointed. * An AMA-member physician can be appointed by the dean of any U.S. medical school to represent undergraduate, graduate or continuing medical education at the institution.
- Self-nominated (faculty appointment). * An AMA-member physician who holds a faculty appointment of any type at a U.S. medical school.
- Self-nominated (no faculty appointment). An AMA-member physician who does not hold a medical school faculty appointment but has an active role in undergraduate, graduate or continuing medical education, or serves in a clinical/research capacity within an academic medical center, community hospital or other health care setting.
*Note: Medical schools must have educational programs provided by a college of medicine or osteopathic medicine accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education or the American Osteopathic Association leading to the MD or DO degree.
To learn more and submit your application to join the Academic Physicians Section, contact Fred Lenhoff at [email protected] or (312) 464-4635.
The APS is looking to fill several positions on its governing council beginning in June 2021:
- Member-at-large (three open positions)
- Liaison to the Council on Medical Education
To apply, email Fred Lenhoff at [email protected] or call (312) 464-4635 to obtain the application form. The deadline for nominations is March 8.
- Consult our APS member guide (PDF, members only).
- View the APS orientation packet (PDF, members only).
- Learn about the APS’s role in AMA policy.
- Find and apply for leadership opportunities for academic physicians at leading national medical education organizations.
Learn more about the history of the APS and its work in shaping medical education since its founding in 1976