The American Medical Association (AMA) is committed to inform and educate physicians, health care professionals, health systems and communities on topics related to health equity in order to address and dismantle the root causes of inequities, including racism and other structural determinants of health. As part of this commitment, a series of CME and educational activities are now featured on the AMA Ed Hub™ Health Equity Education Center and curated by the AMA’s Center for Health Equity. These health equity educational resources will equip physicians and other learners with core health equity concepts needed to support them as they continue to take action and confront health injustice.
In this episode of the Prioritizing Equity series, join practicing physicians and leaders in health care as they share how they are addressing root causes of inequity during COVID-19 and beyond–by centering equity in their workspaces and dismantling racist policies and practices.
The American Medical Association designates this enduring material activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. See AMA CME accreditation information.
Featured: Historical Foundations of Racism in Medicine
Racism is a root cause of health inequities—differences in health outcomes that are avoidable, unnecessary and unfair. Yet many people, including physicians, are often unaware that race is a social construct which was created with support from scientific racism. As a result, false beliefs about biological racial differences continue to shape the way that health care is practiced. This interactive module takes learners though the historical social construction of race and the obstacles racism poses for the attainment of health and wellness. This module was developed in collaboration with COVID Black.
The American Medical Association designates this enduring material activity for a maximum of 0.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. See AMA CME accreditation information.
From the AMA Journal of Ethics
- Antiracism, Health Equity, and a Post-COVID Future
- Health Professions, Students and the Future of Health Equity
- Equal Protection Under Law and Health Equity
- How Pharmaceuticals Mask Health & Social Inequity
From JN Learning™ (CME/MOC from the JAMA Network™)
- Diversifying Medical Education
- Who Is the Parasite?—COVID-19 and Structural Narratives of Health Inequity
- Racial & Ethnic Health Disparities Related to COVID-19
- Responding to the COVID-19 Pandemic: The Need for a Structurally Competent Health Care System
From AMA STEPS Forward®
- Addressing Social Determinants of Health (SDOH): Beyond the Clinic Walls
- Racial and Health Equity: Concrete STEPS for Smaller Practices
Education from collaborating organizations
- Centering Equity in Digital Health: Solution design—from University of California San Francisco
- Centering Equity in Digital Health: Solution implementation—from University of California San Francisco
- LGBTQ Aging Training—from SAGECare
- Bringing Awareness to Implicit Bias—from American College of Radiology
- Education to Help Promote Health and Wellness among Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer people—from Howard Brown Health
- Health Across the Gender Spectrum—from Stanford Medicine