About the Office of International Relations
The AMA is engaged in targeted areas of international activity under the guidance and direction of the Office of International Relations (OIR).
Although the AMA's domestic focus is primary, the AMA increasingly addresses health care issues in a “global neighborhood.” The OIR:
- Provides a global perspective for the AMA and maintains the relationships with national medical associations and global health care organizations.
- Builds relationships with counterpart national medical associations to leverage the AMA’s expertise, develop contacts, and open opportunities.
- Works through the World Medical Association (WMA) to promote AMA’s objectives and policies.
- Assists in securing AMA representation at the World Health Organization’s annual World Health Assembly.
- Engages with other countries to learn how they structure their health care systems, and how they deal with common issues like care in rural areas, shortages of physicians, poverty, and disparities.
In addition, the OIR leverages its experts to engage with international influencers, including:
- AMA Councils (Council on Science and Public Health, Council on Medical Service, Council on Medical Education, Council on Ethical and Judicial Affairs) and staff
- Specialty societies
- Medical education and licensure entities
- Human rights organizations
- The United Nations (UN)
- The World Health Assembly of the World Health Organization (WHO)
- The Department of State
- The Department of Defense
- The Department of Health and Human Services
World Medical Association meets in Paris
After nearly three years of virtual meetings, the WMA Council met in person in Paris April 6-9, 2022.
On the opening day of its meeting, the WMA issued a strongly worded emergency resolution condemning Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and the bombing of medical facilities, and calling for an end to hostilities.
Read more about the physician response.
Supporting and representing physicians
The OIR is dedicated to serving as a champion of physicians in globalized health care.
Learn more about the AMA’s international involvement or join the AMA today.
Policies proposed by AMA and adopted by WMA
WMA Statement on Augmented Intelligence in Medical Care
WMA Statement on Hypertension and Cardiovascular Disease
WMA Declaration on Principles of Health Care in Sports Medicine