Annually, the Medical Student Section regions host Physicians of the Future Summits which allow for educational programs and further discussion on policy development relevant to each region and its membership.
In 2022 the region summits were held virtually Feb. 5.
- A panel of experienced leaders in the field of diversity and inclusion including Erica Lynne Taylor, MD, (Wright State University), Alvaro J. Tori, MD, (Indiana University), and Keith M Reisinger-Kindle, MD, (Wright State University) reflected on the cultural and institutional efforts needed to promote equity in medical education.
- The co-director of the Program on Physician Well-Being at the Mayo Clinic presented a keynote on physician burnout and wellness, highlighting factors in the medical field that are detrimental to sustainable practice as well as strategies for mitigating workplace fatigue and depersonalization.
- The region's resident panel spanning programs in pediatrics, radiation oncology, internal medicine and psychiatry engaged our region in lessons of their post-graduate training—including the importance of note-taking practices and adjusting to the first months of intern year.
This year all regions convened for a joint session on Feb. 5 from noon.-2 p.m. Central, which was followed by separate region summits.
See the agenda tab for more information on the region 5 summit, or download the PDF.
The summit was held on the Zoom platform.
Visit the other region summit pages for details of their events.
- Physicians of the Future Summit—Region 1
- Physicians of the Future Summit—Region 2
- Physicians of the Future Summit—Region 3
- Physicians of the Future Summit—Region 4
- Physicians of the Future Summit—Region 6
- Physicians of the Future Summit—Region 7
Joint session agenda, Feb. 5 (Central time)
12:00 pm - 12:30 pm
GRAF and BOT updates
Brittany Ikwuagwu, MSS Government Relations Advocacy Fellow; Drayton Harvey, student member on AMA Board of Trustees
12:30 pm - 1:00 pm
1:00 pm - 1:30 pm
1:30 pm - 2:00 pm
Region 5 agenda (Feb. 5, Central time)
2:00 pm - 2:10 pm
2:10 pm - 3:10 pm
Diversity and inclusion strategies
3:15 pm - 3:45 pm
Introduction to resolutions
3:45 pm - 4:50 pm
4:50 pm - 4:55 pm
Region 5 agenda (Feb. 6, Central time)
9:00 am - 10:00 am
10:00 am - 11:00 am
Physician suicide and burnout
11:00 am - 11:10 am
11:10 am - 12:10 pm
12:10 pm - 12:15 pm