The Medical Student Section regions hosted the virtual Physicians of the Future Summit Jan. 28-29, 2023.
This event was open to all medical students. The summit brought students together to learn essential skills to become leaders in organized medicine. Summit sessions covered distinguishing yourself through your CV, preparing for residency interviews, and promoting equity through leadership.
Attendees also heard about leadership development relevant to each region and its membership.
Mentor of the Year
- Alec Calac, UC San Diego School of Medicine
- Abhishek Dharan, Texas Tech University El Paso Foster School of Medicine
- Elora Friar, Florida State University College of Medicine
- Rommel Cruz Morales, Northeast Ohio Medical University
- Bennett E. Vogt, University of Massachusetts Chan Medical School
- Brianna Ma, California University of Science and Medicine
- Cecily Negri, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
- Samantha Crowley, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
- Renato Guerrieri, McGovern Medical School at UTHealth Houston
- Bola Adeyeri, Baylor College of Medicine
- Radhika Patel, Sam Houston State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Carine Tabak, University of Kansas School of Medicine
- Michelle Klausner, New York Medical College
Summits plenary session
All regions will convene for a joint session on Jan. 28 from noon-1:50 p.m. Central, which will be followed by separate region summits. All regions will hold their individual summits on Jan. 28, with the exception of region 3 which will hold its summit on Jan. 29.
Plenary session agenda
Saturday, Jan. 28 joint session (All times are Central)
Information on how to access the meeting will be posted once available. Please log in by 11:50 a.m.
Achieving Health Equity: Habits of Mind for Social Justice Warriors
- Camara Phyllis Jones, MD, MPH, PhD
Dr. Jones is a family physician, epidemiologist and activist well-known for her allegories on race and racism. In this session, she will share her allegory “Dual Reality: A Restaurant Saga” and provide students with tools to navigate valuing and prioritizing social justice work.
Developing Leadership as a Young Physician
- Kavita Arora, MD, MBE, MS
- Luis E. Seija, MD
- Faith Crittenden, MD, MPH
In this panel of young physicians, students will learn from leaders in organized medicine about their paths to leadership and how they balance these roles with their early career development.
5 Things Program Directors Look for in a CV and Residency Application
- George Sarosi, MD
- David Marzano, MD
- Hilary Fairbrother, MD, MPH
Attendees will have an opportunity to hear from a panel of program directors on how to best pursue and highlight leadership opportunities that will strengthen their CVs and residency applications.
Download the plenary session agenda as a PDF.
Summit for regions 1-7
Visit the individual region summit pages for details of their events.
- Physicians of the Future Summit—Region 1
- Physicians of the Future Summit—Region 2
- Physicians of the Future Summit—Region 3
- Physicians of the Future Summit—Region 4
- Physicians of the Future Summit—Region 5
- Physicians of the Future Summit—Region 6
- Physicians of the Future Summit—Region 7