What are the AMA Guides®?
For more than half a century, the AMA Guides® have been the accepted authority on permanent loss of function and are relied on by physicians for assessment of permanent impairment. The AMA Guides incorporate science, evidence-based medicine and assessment tools to provide a rigorous methodology to enable a fair and consistent evaluation.
How will the AMA Guides be updated?
An editorial panel comprised of knowledgeable physicians and advanced practice professionals will curate the AMA Guides to ensure update transparency and to deliver timely enhancements to the AMA Guides reflecting current evidence-based medical practice.
How did the AMA select the editorial panel members?
The panel was selected through a rigorous process, which included a broad solicitation of nominations from more than 200 medical organizations reflecting the communities the AMA Guides serve.
How will the editorial panel update and modernize the AMA Guides?
The panel will periodically publish a set of editorial priorities that will inform the broader stakeholder community of the panel’s focus. The priorities will focus on areas where additional guidance is most needed while publishing content on a consistent cadence in recognition of state regulatory considerations.
What other organizations is the AMA engaged with beyond the medical community?
The AMA is committed to ensuring all our relevant stakeholders have a seat at the table, including organizations that represent the interests of the workers’ compensation, state regulation and legal communities.
How can I submit a proposal?
How are proposals reviewed?
In conjunction with their combined expertise across a variety of medical disciplines, the AMA Guides Editorial Panel has adopted a comprehensive set of standards by which content proposals will be accepted.
Where can I acquire the latest edition of the AMA Guides?
Visit our commerce site for AMA Guides Sixth.
How can I get involved?
- Join our mailing list to stay informed
- Register and attend meetings
- Submit a suggestion
- Help with advocacy and legislative adoption
- Form or join a proposal team
If your organization has comments or questions, please contact us at [email protected].
More information on the AMA Guides
- Visit the overview page to get details about the initiative to modernize the Guides
- Read about the AMA Guides Editorial Panel selection process
- Learn how to submit a proposal
- Register for an upcoming meeting
- See the list of members of the AMA Guides Editorial Panel
Table of Contents
- What are the AMA Guides®?
- How will the AMA Guides be updated?
- How did the AMA select the editorial panel members?
- How will the editorial panel update and modernize the AMA Guides?
- What other organizations is the AMA engaged with beyond the medical community?
- How can I submit a proposal?
- How are proposals reviewed?
- Where can I acquire the latest edition of the AMA Guides?
- How can I get involved?
- Contact us
- More information on the AMA Guides
Essential Tools & Resources
AMA Guides® Sixth