International Medical Graduates Members Moving Medicine
Participate in IMG Recognition Week Oct. 21–27 and honor IMG physicians who advocate for issues that impact IMGs physicians.
As a powerful ally, AMA advocates for the following IMG issues:
- Non-discrimination in residency selection
- Licensure equality
- Timely processing of visas for all physicians, including residents, fellows and physicians in independent practice
- Information for early career physicians to obtain observerships and career resources
- Reauthorization of the Conrad 30 program for J-1 visa waiver
Impact of the IMG Section
The International Medical Graduates Section (IMGS) works to advocate for issues that affect international medical graduates. The IMGS has:
- Submitted over 150 policy initiatives related to IMG to AMA House of Delegates
- Successfully filed amicus brief to advocate against physician discrimination
- Worked with 37 states to ensure licensure equality and reciprocity for GME requirements for licensure
- Created ECFMG AMA membership category for physicians awaiting residency
IMGs making a difference
Tani Malhotra, MD
"Medicine is a vocation, not a career. Doctors are a group of the most dedicated individuals. They sacrifice their personal and family needs for those of their patients."
Omer Bajwa, MD
"I have always wanted to help people and I find that through learning the science of medicine I can make people’s lives better."
Ved V. Gossain, MD
"The best part of being a doctor is taking care of patients. There is nothing better in life than a patient coming to you and saying, “Thank you doctor” for saving my life or making my life better."
Sabesan Karuppiah, MD
"My mother struggled with lack of health care during her childhood and always instilled in me that I need to help as many people as I can."
AMA news articles
Become a member
Are you currently in a U.S. residency program or are you ECFMG-certified and waiting to match into a U.S. residency program (GME position)?