The Private Practice Playbook (PDF) includes links to over 30 practical tools designed to help you succeed in private practice. Preview a short list of practical tools below, download the playbook (PDF) for access to all 30-plus tools or explore individual toolkits on the AMA STEPS Forward® website for these and additional resources.
Part 1: Is private practice right for you?
Part 2: Attending to business
- Private Practice Business Considerations Guide (PDF)
- Private Practice Common Financial Terminology (PDF)
- Physician Payment Models Guide (PDF)
- Private Practice Toolkit: Payor Contracting 101 (PDF)
- Private Practice Checklist: Key Considerations in Forming, Operating or Joining a Clinically Integrated Network (CIN) (PDF)
- Private Practice Staffing Guide (PDF)
- Private Practice Guide: Implementing a Work-From-Home Program (PDF)
- Payer Audit Checklist (PDF)
Part 3: Attending to patients
- Taming the EHR Playbook (PDF)
Highlighting content across 19 AMA STEPS Forward® toolkits, the Private Practice Playbook (PDF) outlines what you need to know to start and succeed in private practice. Download the playbook (PDF) for toolkit key takeaways and high-level overviews, explore more on a given topic through individual toolkits linked in the playbook or featured in the selected list below, or visit stepsforward.org to see everything AMA STEPS Forward® has to offer.
- What to Look for in Your First or Next Practice
- Medical Assistant Recruitment and Retention
- Revenue Cycle Management
- EHR Implementation
- Team Documentation
- Racial and Health Equity: Concrete STEPS for Smaller Practices
Explore more on the subjects covered in this playbook with these webinars:
Hear physicians and other health care leaders discuss all things private practice in these suggested podcasts:
- Thriving in Private Practice (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- Improve Practice Efficiency with EHR Quick Wins (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
- What to Look for in Your First or Next Practice (Apple Podcasts | Spotify)
Read how other physicians and health care professionals are succeeding in private practice—and how you can apply the lessons they learned to your own practice—in these short but sweet Success Stories:
- Success Story: Dermatology Practice Reaps Benefits of Empowered Medical Assistants and Detailed Note Templates
- Success Story: Teamlets Led by Physicians but Run by Medical Assistants Improve Efficiency
Download the playbook (PDF) to learn more about starting and sustaining your private practice.