- Know where major national medical and health care organizations stand on LGBTQ health issues with GLMA's Compendium of Health Profession Association LGBT Policy & Position Statements.
- AMA Journal of Ethics is the AMA's online ethics journal, and its vast catalog contains many articles on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender health and ethics in medicine. Start at the Ethics Cases Index to browse by topic, or use the search bar to focus your search.
- Examine the AMA's policy on LGBTQ health-related issues by exploring the AMA’s policies in positions in PolicyFinder.
Consult the comprehensive report (PDF) produced by the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies that studies the state of LGBTQ health care in the United States.
"The Health of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender People" includes research and testimony from influential organizations in LGBTQ health on the following topics:
- Context for LGBTQ health status in the United States
- Conducting research on the health status of LGBTQ populations
- LGBTQ health in childhood and adolescence
- LGBTQ health in early and middle adulthood
- LGBTQ health in adulthood
- Help spread awareness of LGBTQ health care concerns by giving a Grand Rounds presentation. Use this sample presentation, "Meeting the Healthcare Needs of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Populations: An End to Invisibility."
View a streaming video of Harvey Makadon, MD, giving this presentation.
- Examine Straight For Equality in Healthcare and the accompanying field guide from the Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG), a leading organization in the fight for LGBTQ equality. This program invites straight health care providers to become allies to LGBTQ people and educate health care providers about the unique health care concerns of the LGBTQ community.
- Join the AMA LGBTQ Advisory Committee Listserv to receive information about current LGBTQ health and physician issues as well as our committee's initiatives. The listserv provides a forum to discuss policy, advocacy and governance issues that impact LGBTQ and ally physicians and their patients.
- Receive email alerts from LGBTQ organizations.
Stay on top of the latest news in the LGBTQ health community by signing up for email alerts from the following organizations:
LGBTQ Advisory Committee listserv: LGBTQ Advisory Committee at [email protected]
View these webinars and learn about questions that can be asked of program applicants during the residency interview process, and gain a broad understanding of the physician’s role in various contemporary family building options.
AAMC webinars: Co-sponsored by Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)