In addition to the work the AMA is doing on the Recovery Plan, we are also advocating at the federal and state levels on key issues in population care and health disparities.
- Working with states and federal policymakers to preserve access to the full spectrum of reproductive health care, including access to mifepristone and other evidence-based treatments.
- Fighting back against state legislative efforts to ban gender-affirming care for transgender patients.
- Successfully urged the FDA to remove categorical restrictions on blood donations for men who have sex with men.
- Opposed efforts to further attack the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and the preventive care requirements, including filing briefs to explain the importance of this care.
- Working with policymakers to address the maternal mortality and morbidity crisis in the U.S.—and improve children’s health—by permanently extending Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) coverage to 12 months postpartum among other measures.
The AMA works to generate support for policies critical to the nation’s health care system—and we can’t do it without your help. Learn more about ways to get involved with AMA advocacy.