Numerous state and federal officials have urged physicians and other health care professionals to show the necessary leadership to confront the nation’s opioid epidemic. The AMA Opioid Task Force agrees that physicians have a professional obligation to reverse the epidemic.
Goals of the Task Force
- Increase physicians' registration and use of effective Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs (PDMPs)
- Enhance physicians' education on effective, evidence-based prescribing
- Reduce the stigma of chronic pain and promote comprehensive assessment and treatment
- Reduce the stigma of substance use disorder and enhance access to treatment
- Expand access to naloxone in the community and through co-prescribing
- Promote safe storage and disposal of opioids and all medications
Task Force Members
In 2014, more than 25 states, specialty and other health care associations were invited by the AMA Board of Trustees to help reduce the nation's burden from prescription opioids and heroin.