It takes powerful physicians and nurses who demonstrate leadership and impact to make effective change happen in health care. To honor these physician and nurse leaders, the trade publication Modern Healthcare released its 2019 list of the “50 Most Influential Clinical Executives.” On the list, 21 share the common trait of AMA membership.
Included in the top five are four AMA members:
- No. 2: Robert Grossman, MD, CEO of NYU Langone Health in New York.
- No. 3: Mark Schuster, MD, PhD, founding dean and CEO of Kaiser Permanente School of Medicine in Pasadena, California.
- No. 4: Donald Rucker, MD, national coordinator of the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology.
- No. 5: Barbara L. McAneny, MD, immediate past president of the AMA and an oncologist from Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Dr. McAneny—the 173rd president of the AMA—is recognized for being a vocal opponent of the merger between CVS Health and Aetna by testifying against the deal during a hearing before the California Department of Insurance last year.
As the founder of the National Cancer Care Alliance, Dr. McAneny has advocated new payment models for cancer care. She also continues to push policymakers to tackle high drug prices, including the finalized regulations that require drugmakers to include pricing information in TV ads.
Also making the list is the AMA’s Executive Vice President and CEO James L. Madara, MD, at No. 43. Dr. Madara is recognized for his work with the AMA’s $15 million Reimagining Residency initiative, as well as the Accelerating Change in Medical Education initiative.
He also announced the hiring of the AMA’s first chief health equity officer, Aletha Maybank, MD, MPH, who will launch a new program aimed at addressing health disparities in the U.S.
The physicians on this list work in private and public sectors, as well as academia and as leaders of foundations. Physicians were selected by readers and senior editors of Modern Healthcare for their executive responsibilities, personal achievements, innovation and commitment to their communities.
Some of the other AMA members on the list of top physician leaders include:
- No. 12: Mitchell Katz, MD, president and CEO of NYC Health & Hospitals in New York.
- No. 14: Leana Wen, MD, president of Planned Parenthood Federation of America in New York.
- No. 15: Sachin Jain, MD, president and CEO of CareMore Health in Cerritos, California.
- No. 16: Troyen Brennan, MD, executive vice president and chief medical officer of CVS Health in Woonsocket, Rhode Island.
- No. 17: Gary Kaplan, MD, chairman and CEO of Virginia Mason Health System in Seattle.
- No. 20: Steven Corwin, MD, president and CEO of New York-Presbyterian in New York.
- No. 24: Nick Turkal, MD, co-president and CEO of Advocate Aurora Health in Milwaukee.
- No. 26: Bechara Choucair, MD, senior vice president and chief community health officer of Kaiser Foundation Health Plan and Hospitals in Oakland, California.
- No. 28: Jonathan Perlin, MD, president of clinical services and chief medical officer at Hospital Corporation of America Healthcare in Nashville.
- No. 29: Andrew Pecora, MD, former president of physician services and chief innovation officer of Hackensack Meridian Health in Hackensack, New Jersey.
- No. 32: Carolyn Clancy, MD, deputy undersecretary for discovery, education and affiliate networks at the Veterans Health Administration in Washington.
- No. 33: Susan Turney, MD, CEO of Marshfield Clinic Health System in Marshfield, Wisconsin.
- No. 35: Vice Admiral Jerome Adams, MD, surgeon general of the United States.
- No. 36: Tony Farah, MD, executive vice president, chief medical and clinical transformation officer at Highmark Health in Pittsburgh.
- No. 39: Vice Admiral Raquel Bono, MD, director of the Defense Health Agency in Church Falls, Virginia.
- No. 46: Larry Kaiser, MD, president and CEO of Temple University Health System in Philadelphia.
Visit MembershipMovesMedicine.com to learn more about other AMA members who are relentlessly moving medicine through advocacy, education, patient care and practice innovation, and join or renew today.