The AMA “Members Move Medicine” series profiles a wide variety of doctors and health care organizations, offering a glimpse into the passions of women and men navigating new courses in American medicine.
On the move with: Privia Health in Arlington, Virginia.
AMA group member since: 2018
How our organization moves medicine: Through key partnerships with payers, employers, health systems, and other key stakeholders, we use technology, team-based care, and unique wellness programs to keep people healthy, prevent disease, and improve care coordination both in and outside of the doctor’s office.
Privia’s proprietary cloud-based technology platform, combined with an innovative approach to patient engagement and physician-driven wellness, builds a better healthcare delivery experience, creates healthier patient populations, and helps address physician burnout.
How our organization stands out from competitors: With more than 2,000 providers in multiple states, Privia is one of the fastest growing independent medical groups in the U.S. We understand that our doctors need to be successful in both the fee-for-service and value-based care reimbursement environments in today’s health care landscape. We are helping our doctors build their practices while also pushing for the transition to value-based care.
- 600,000 Privia patients are enrolled in value-based payer contracts.
- 57 percent of patients seen by Privia primary care providers are enrolled value-based payer contracts.
Groundbreaking or innovative projects: Our technology Platform. We’re building these tools with the input of physicians.
- myPrivia app gives patients immediate access to providers through the patient portal, helping to find the right doctor, and our expanding telemedicine capabilities that help address access to care challenges.
- Future state is a virtual assistant program that Privia is piloting with doctors to help further alleviate their administrative burdens.
- Project Mercury. Privia is engaging payers, doctors, and other stakeholders in health care to help independent physicians make a seamless transition to value-based care.
- Medicare Advantage. MACA integrates well into the care center. This data is used to inform patient care decisions on everything from medication adherence to patient care coordination.
Accomplishments and awards:
- The second largest MSSP savings award and nationally ranked eighth out of nearly 500 ACOs by MSSP savings size.
- 2018 MAP Award for High Performance in Revenue Cycle, sponsored by the Healthcare Financial Management Association (won three years in a row).
- Privia proudly has an 82 percent physician satisfaction rate.
How our organization gives back to the community: Seventy-five percent of our employees participate in our annual community service activities through Privia Gives Back. In 2018, Privia donated a five-figures, thousands of diapers, and hundreds of volunteer hours to children in need through the communities where Privia physicians practice.
Keith Fernandez, MD, Privia’s National Chief Clinical Officer, meets with Privia physicians every three months to help doctors mitigate feelings of isolation around issues they are facing. The Privia community and outreach is one critical part of our work to prevent physician burnout.
Privia actively connects with MedChi, the Maryland Medical Society, to better understand what Maryland doctors are experiencing and how Privia can better support them. When disasters, like Hurricane Harvey, hit, Privia staff are prepared to be on the ground to assist our doctors and see what they need when their practices are impacted. Our centralized, cloud-based platform also helps with uptime and information security in the face of natural disasters.
Visit MembershipMovesMedicine.com to learn more about other AMA members who are relentlessly moving medicine through advocacy, education, patient care and practice innovation, and join or renew today.