The American Medical Association solicits annual nominations for the Dr. Nathan Davis Awards for outstanding government service—considered one of the most prestigious awards honoring elected officials and career government employees.
These awards, named for the founder of the AMA, Dr. Nathan Davis, aim to recognize significant accomplishments to advance public health.
Nominees who meet the following criteria are considered for the award:
- Contributed greatly to the public health through elected and career government service
- Is an outstanding leader in his/her field
- Has high personal integrity
- Promoted the art and science of medicine in or through government service
- Developed a special project that contributed to the public health of a given community or special population
The AMA presents these awards in seven categories of public service, including local, state and federal government. Each year, the caliber of nominees is a testament to the incredible health care initiatives being advanced throughout our nation.
- U.S. senator
- U.S. representative
- Member of the executive branch serving by presidential/political appointment (federal)
- Member of the executive branch in career public service (federal)
- Governor or elected statewide official
- Member of the state legislature
- Career public servant at the state or local level
For more information about the awards, download the brochure (PDF).
If you have any questions regarding the awards or the nomination process, contact the Awards Secretariat at (314) 721-4506.
2020 Dr. Nathan Davis Awards winners
Award category: Governor or elected statewide official
Award category: Career public servant at the state or local level
Tim Jones, MD
Assistant commissioner and state epidemiologist, Tennessee Department of Health
Award category: U.S. representative
Raul Ruiz, MD
United States Representative
State of California
Award category: Member of the executive branch in career public service for scientific advancement
Martha Sedegah, PhD
Director of clinical immunology and parasitology in the Malaria department of the Naval Medical Research Center
Award category: Member of the executive branch in career public service
Nora D. Volkow, MD
Director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse at the National Institutes of Health
Award category: Member of a state legislature
John McCall Zerwas, MD
Texas House of Representatives
View a list of past winners (PDF) of the Dr. Nathan Davis Awards for Outstanding Government Service.