AMA advocacy drives action & results
At the state level, the AMA shapes the policy of influential national policymaking organizations, partners with outside experts and stakeholder groups and influences the enactment and/or defeat of state legislation and regulations.
Advocacy Resource Center (ARC)
The American Medical Association Advocacy Resource Center is a tireless advocate for physicians and their patients. We roll up our sleeves—providing cutting edge strategies, expert counseling on best practices and turn-key resources and tools—to help state lawmakers respond to the rapidly evolving health care system. In coordination with state and national medical specialty societies, our work has resulted in the enactment and/or defeat of hundreds of proposed state laws and regulations.
State legislative and regulatory priorities
Learn about the AMA’s state legislative and regulatory priorities, including recent advocacy achievements.
- AMA's Top 2018 advocacy victories (PDF)
- August 2019 state legislative wrap-up (PDF)
- 2019 state legislative and regulatory prospectus survey (PDF)
- Protecting physician practices (PDF)
- Ensuring health insurance competition
- CVS-Aetna merger
- State medical liability reform
- Physician-led team-based care
- Prescription drug misuse, overdose, & death
- Reducing administrative barriers to care
- Improving provider networks & access to care
- Public health improvement
- Strengthening Medicaid
- Scope of practice
- Telemedicine & mobile apps
- The business of medicine
- Truth in advertising
- AMA model bills
- Federal & state correspondence finder
- Economic impact study
For contact information, please view the ARC staff directory (PDF).