MedEd Update is a monthly e-newsletter featuring graduate medical education, health care career, medical school and continuing physician professional development news.
The AMA provides information, resources and guidance about the AMA continuing medical education (CME) credit system for CME providers. Activities certified for AMA Physician’s Recognition Award (PRA) credit must meet both the AMA's and the accreditor's requirements.
The AMA Council on Medical Education and the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education are requesting comments/feedback on the proposal to simplify and align their expectations of accredited continuing medical education activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Access the survey.
CME Provider Requirements
To certify educational activities for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ , the sponsoring organization must:
- Be accredited by either the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) or a recognized state medical society (SMS).
- Meet all requirements of both the AMA and their accreditor (ACCME or SMS).
- Download Physicians Recognition Award and Credit System guide (PDF) for more information on requirements.
- Download FAQ.
- Become an accredited CME provider—contact the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME).
- Read the relevant Council of Ethical and Judicial Affairs opinions to plan all AMA PRA credit activities in accordance with their guidelines:
- Gifts to Physicians From Industry
- Continuing Medical Education
- Financial Relationships with Industry in Continuing Medical Education
- Gain guidance on the requirements for designating new procedures and skills courses for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.
- Locate the AMA's procedures for handling complaints regarding AMA PRA credit.
Send an email to [email protected] or call (312) 464-4668.