The American Medical Association solicits annual nominations for the American Medical Association Awards for Outstanding Government Service for outstanding government service—considered one of the most prestigious awards honoring elected officials and career government employees.
These awards aim to recognize significant accomplishments to advance public health.
Nominees who meet the following criteria are considered for the award:
- Contributed greatly to the public health through elected and career government service
- Is an outstanding leader in his/her field
- Has high personal integrity
- Promoted the art and science of medicine in or through government service
- Developed a special project that contributed to the public health of a given community or special population
The AMA presents these awards in seven categories of public service, including local, state and federal government. Each year, the caliber of nominees is a testament to the incredible health care initiatives being advanced throughout our nation.
- U.S. senator
- U.S. representative
- Member of the executive branch serving by presidential/political appointment (federal)
- Member of the executive branch in career public service (federal)
- Governor or elected statewide official
- Member of the state legislature
- Career public servant at the state or local level
If you have any questions regarding the awards or the nomination process, contact the Awards Secretariat at (314) 721-4506.
View a video honoring the 2021 award recipients, and learn more about each recipient.
Award category: Member of the executive branch in career public service
Darlene Chee CEO Indian Health Service, Navajo Area Chinle Comprehensive Healthcare Facility
Award category: Member of the executive branch in career public service for scientific achievement
Daniel Kastner, MD, PhD Director, Division of Intramural Research Head and Inflammatory Disease Section National Human Genome Research Institute National Institutes of Health
Award category: Career public servant at the state level
John R. Baird, MD, MPH Coroner/North Dakota State health officer Cass County North Dakota Department of Public Health
Award category: Career public servant at the local level
Ray C. Funnye Public services director Georgetown County, South Carolina
Liane Jollon Executive director San Juan Basin Health Department
View a list of past winners (PDF).