- Current state of private practice
- Evaluating practice arrangement options
- Emerging payment models
- Health plan/employer contracting considerations
- Partnering with a hospital/health system/ACO
- Partnering with a private equity firm or seeking venture capital funding
- Regulatory and legal considerations
- Essential Tools & Resources
The health care landscape is changing rapidly, driven by payment reform, regulatory changes, technology and consumer demands, among other factors. AMA advocacy, resources and research help make private practice a viable option for physicians.
For physicians considering private practice and for those who are already working independently, the AMA provides resources to contribute to the success of this model of care.
Learn more about the current state of private practice.
- View the AMA's What makes a high performing practice? webinar
- In a challenging landscape, there is new support for private practices
- Policy Research Perspectives: 2020 Physician Benchmark Survey (PDF)
Identify, learn about and compare practice settings.
- STEPS Forward™ Toolkit: What to look for in your first or next practice
- Physician payment & delivery models
- Physician payment resource center
Learn more about contracting considerations for a private practice.
- Managed Care Legal database
- Physician-employer engagement: Direct-to-Employer arrangements
- Physician Only ACOs: An Opportunity to Consider (PDF)
- Pay-for-performance contracts (PDF)
- Evaluating bundled or episode-based contracts (PDF)
- Developing Clinically Integrated Networks and other Innovative Contracting Models (Webinar)
- Related resource: Clinically Integrated Network (CIN) checklist (PDF)
- Cutting Edge Trends in Physician Compensation (Webinar)
- Related resource: Ancillary Services checklist (PDF)
Many physicians have the option of affiliating with or being employed by a hospital, health system or an ACO. Explore key issues and more.
- Key issues to consider when forming an ACO with hospitals
- Accountable Care Organizations: How to Perform Due Diligence and Evaluate Contractual Agreements (PDF)
- Should your practice join a hospital ACO? What to consider
- How to Evaluate Contractual Agreements: Unwinding Existing Arrangements (PDF)
- A Brief Summary of the Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute Reforms (Final Rules) (PDF)
- Stark waivers in the PHE
- Strengthen the practice resource guide is designed to help physicians, legislators, attorneys and others identify many of the benefits and limitations of several potential collaboration arrangements.