Submission deadline closed: Thursday, April 1
The Senior Physicians Section Governing Council would like to encourage your participation at the upcoming 2021 AMA June Meeting. As a member of the AMA and the Senior Physicians Section (SPS), you have the opportunity to influence policies within the organization. The section leadership welcomes proposals from members to advance and promote the needs of senior physicians (i.e., doctors age 65 and above, both active and retired).
Medical issues and practice trends change over time. It is both beneficial and effective to the section if the AMA voices the positions doctors take on current issues that impact all senior physicians.
Because of logistical challenges, our officers have asked that we limit resolution submissions to only those that are urgent or of the highest priority. Although proposed resolutions on any topic will be given consideration, broad topics affecting senior physicians are more likely to be accepted for transmittal to our House of Delegates for adoption.
There are many challenges and opportunities arising from the COVID-19 pandemic:
- There is increased awareness about the importance of advance directives and other legal documents. How can senior physicians increase end-of-life conversations to clearly communicate preferences in this pandemic?
- Is there an opportunity to address issues of an aging society? There may be an upswing in interest among professionals across disciplines to work with older adults and issues of public health to expand the workforce specializing in aging.
- Increasing access to health care—how might senior physicians play a greater role in telehealth to address specialty and workforce shortages?
- What improvements can be made to address physician health for senior physicians still practicing? Physical and mental health may be compromised even after the pandemic is over as this is a time of unprecedented stress for those who are called on to serve.
An initial review of all resolution idea proposals will focus on:
- Does the resolution pertain to the section?
- Does the proposal duplicate any existing AMA policy? Visit the AMA's PolicyFinder to see if AMA policy already exists on your resolution idea.
If you would like help with your proposed resolution idea, contact our delegate, Louise Andrew, MD, JD, or alternate delegate, Thomas Sullivan, MD, at [email protected] for assistance.
Resolutions must be submitted via email using the resolution idea proposal form (PDF, members only) to [email protected]. The SPS GC has also developed a presentation to guide you (PDF, members only) through the process. Upon receipt of your resolution idea, the SPS will send a confirmation email.
Please plan to discuss your SPS resolution idea proposal at the virtual SPS assembly.
Please note the following resolutions related to senior physician issues:
- Senior Physicians Section (B-7.9) (PDF)
- Licensure and Liability for Senior Physician Volunteers (D-160.991) (PDF)
- Assuring Safe and Effective Care for Patients (D-275.956) (PDF)
- Licensure and Discipline (D-275.984) (PDF)
- Guide for Seniors Living in Retirement Communities (H-25.987) (PDF)
- Eye Exams for the Elderly (H-25.990)(PDF)
- Senior Suicide (H-25.992) (PDF)
- Senior Care (H-25.993) (PDF)
- Increased Liaison Efforts with the Elderly (H-25.994) (PDF)
- Exercise Programs for the Elderly (H-25.995) (PDF)
- Retirement and Hiring Practices (H-25.996) (PDF)
- Policy Recommendations in the Field of Aging (H-25.998) (PDF)
- Health Care for Older Patients (H-25.999) (PDF)
- Geriatric Medicine (H-295.981) (PDF)
Resolution ideas will be posted to the online member forum that allows senior physicians from across the United States to access, review and comment on them. SPS members will receive an email invitation letting them know when to provide their testimony or comments during the open forum period.
Please add your comments and be sure to specify how the proposed action benefits senior physicians and/or their patients. All feedback will help in determining the appropriate actions for the virtual SPS meeting. Please contact us with any questions.
Thursday, April 29, 7 p.m. Central
Following the online member forum, consensus opinions on SPS reports and resolutions will be developed during the virtual SPS meeting. The meeting convenes via teleconference and covers feedback from the member forum and updates from the SPS Governing Council chair and provides an opportunity for SPS members to participate during an open discussion period. Please register by Wednesday, April 28 to receive the call-in information and agenda.
Visit the SPS June 2021 Meeting agenda & resources page to register for the meeting, review the agenda, educational sessions and more.