The Advisory Committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Issues (LGBTQ) addresses many important issues of interest to LGBTQ medical students, resident and fellows, LGBTQ physicians, patients and our straight allies. The committee has commented on the World Medical Association's proposed policy on transgender health, which was ultimately adopted, completing 12 years of leadership with the Commission to End Health Care Disparities.
Download the Report on LGBTQ activities: November 2018–June 2019.
Sexual orientation and gender identity are integral aspects of our communities; the AMA policies on LGBTQ issues work to inform individuals about LGBTQ discrimination and abuse. AMA’s policies for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people’s rights represent a multiplicity of identities and issues.
Create an environment in your practice that is inclusive for all patients. Access LGBTQ health-related articles, podcasts, handouts and presentations produced by the AMA and other leaders in the LGBTQ health field.
- Communicating with LGBTQ patients
- Understanding LGBTQ health issues
- Preventing suicide in LGBTQ youths
- Webinars on navigating the residency match as an LGBTQ applicant and LGBTQ family-building
- Join the AMA LGBTQ Advisory Committee listserv by contacting [email protected] to receive information about current LGBTQ health and physician issues as well as our committee's initiatives. The Listserv provides a forum to discuss policy, advocacy and governance issues that impact LGBTQ and ally physicians and their patients.
- Receive email alerts from LGBTQ organizations. Stay on top of the latest news in the LGBTQ health community by signing up for email alerts.
Keep up to date on the Advisory Committee on LGBTQ Issues’ meetings and current events. Learn more about the committee’s creation of special interest groups, medical school LGBTQ curriculum and specific advice that LGBTQ medical students need to know about the Match.
The Advisory Committee on LGBTQ Issues has three leadership opportunities open for the 2020 election. Learn more and submit a nomination form before the deadline of Jan. 31, 2020.
Contact [email protected] for further information.
Contact Craig Johnson at (312) 464-4335 for assistance.