The Advisory Committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Issues (LGBTQ) addresses many important issues of interest to LGBTQ medical students, resident and fellows, LGBTQ physicians, patients and our straight allies. The committee has commented on the World Medical Association's proposed policy on transgender health, which was ultimately adopted, completing 12 years of leadership with the Commission to End Health Care Disparities.
Download the Report on LGBTQ activities: November 2018–June 2019.
AMA policies on LGBTQ issues
Sexual orientation and gender identity are integral aspects of our communities; the AMA policies on LGBTQ issues work to inform individuals about LGBTQ discrimination and abuse. AMA’s policies for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people’s rights represent a multiplicity of identities and issues.
Find resources to create an LGBTQ-friendly medical practice
Create an environment in your practice that is inclusive for all patients. Access LGBTQ health-related articles, podcasts, handouts and presentations produced by the AMA and other leaders in the LGBTQ health field.
- Communicating with LGBTQ patients
- Understanding LGBTQ health issues
- Preventing suicide in LGBTQ youths
- Webinars on navigating the residency match as an LGBTQ applicant and LGBTQ family-building
- Join the AMA LGBTQ Advisory Committee Listserv by contacting [email protected] to receive information about current LGBTQ health and physician issues as well as our committee's initiatives. The Listserv provides a forum to discuss policy, advocacy and governance issues that impact LGBTQ and ally physicians and their patients.
- Receive email alerts from LGBTQ organizations. Stay on top of the latest news in the LGBTQ health community by signing up for email alerts from the following organizations:
Keep up to date on The Advisory Committee on LGBTQ Issues’ meetings and current events. Learn more about the committee’s creation of special interest groups, medical school LGBTQ curriculum and specific advice that LGBTQ medical students need to know about the Match.
The AMA's Advisory Committee on LGBTQ Issues is comprised of 7 members. It is looking to fill the following positions for 2019:
- 1 At-Large Member (application now available)
- 1 Representative from the Young Physician Section (YPS)
- 1 Representative from the Resident and Fellow Section (RFS)
- 1 Representative from the Medical Student Section (MSS)
The nominee, nominating person or organization must submit a nomination form (DOC) for the at-large member, YPS representative and RFS representative by Feb. 15, 2019. The deadline for applications for MSS representative is Dec. 16 at 1:59 a.m. Central.
AMA LGBTQ Advisory Committee questions
Contact [email protected] for further information.
Contact Craig Johnson at (312) 464-4335 for assistance.