The American Medical Association (AMA) and the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) have simplified and aligned their expectations for accredited CME activities certified for AMA Physician’s recognition Award (PRA) credit.
The revised AMA PRA credit system standards are designed to encourage innovation and flexibility in CME activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ while continuing to ensure that activities meet education standards and are independent of commercial influence. The AMA Council on Medical Education approved the alignment and simplification after receiving input from the CME community through a Call for Comment process.
- The AMA core requirements and ACCME accreditation requirements are aligned and do not represent any new rules for accredited providers.
- The AMA has simplified and reduced learning format requirements to provide more flexibility for accredited CME providers.
- CME providers may design and deliver certified activities that use blended or new approaches to drive meaningful learning and change, as long as the provider abides by the core and credit requirements.
- CME providers may designate an activity format as “other” if it does not fall into one of the established format categories.
CME provider requirements
The AMA provides information, resources and guidance about the AMA continuing medical education (CME) credit system for CME providers. Activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ must meet both the AMA's and the accreditor's requirements.
To certify educational activities for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ , the sponsoring organization must:
- Be accredited by either the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) or a recognized state medical society (SMS).
- Meet all requirements of both the AMA and their accreditor (ACCME or SMS).
Read the Council of Ethical and Judicial Affairs opinions relevant to CME activities:
- Gifts to Physicians From Industry
- Continuing Medical Education
- Financial Relationships with Industry in Continuing Medical Education
International events and AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
AMA International Conference Recognition Program
Non-profit organizations interested in providing AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ for your international meetings must meet eligibility criteria. Get more information on requirements, fees and how to apply.
AMA PRA Credit System International Agreements
The AMA has a process for developing agreements with national or international physician CME credit systems. If you are an authorized representative of an established physician CME credit system and are interested in exploring the feasibility of an agreement with the AMA, please review the eligibility requirements and criteria. Qualified applicants can request more information by contacting [email protected]
Physicians Attending International Events for CME Credit
Physicians may earn AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ for participation in international events through the AMA’s International Conference Recognition Program or one of the AMA’s international agreements.
Stay current on medical education news
MedEd Update is a monthly e-newsletter featuring graduate medical education, health care career, medical school and continuing physician professional development news.
Subscribe to MedEd
For more information