Management of high blood pressure, septic shock, learning algorithms, and waste in U.S. health care are among the topics covered in the decade’s most influential articles published in JAMA®, one of the world’s top medical journals.
Aside from being notable as a controversial U.S. election year, 2016 also saw publication of half of the 10 best-of-the-decade picks made by the JAMA editors:
- "The Third International Consensus Definitions for Sepsis and Septic Shock (Sepsis-3)," Feb. 23, 2016.
- "The Association Between Income and Life Expectancy in the United States, 2001–2014," April 26, 2016.
- "Intensive vs Standard Blood Pressure Control and Cardiovascular Disease Outcomes in Adults Aged ≥ 75 Years: A Randomized Clinical Trial," June 28, 2016.
- President Barack Obama on "United States Health Care Reform: Progress to Date and Next Steps," Aug. 2, 2016.
- "Development and Validation of a Deep Learning Algorithm for Detection of Diabetic Retinopathy in Retinal Fundus Photographs," Dec. 23, 2016.
Rounding out the decade’s top 10 are:
- "Eliminating Waste in US Health Care," April 11, 2012.
- "Silencing the Science on Gun Research," Feb. 13, 2013.
- "2014 Evidence-Based Guideline for the Management of High Blood Pressure in Adults Report From the Panel Members Appointed to the Eighth Joint National Committee (JNC 8)," Feb. 5, 2014.
- "Antibiotic Therapy vs Appendectomy for Treatment of Uncomplicated Acute Appendicitis, The APPAC Randomized Clinical Trial," June 16, 2015.
- "Health Care Spending in the United States and Other High-Income Countries," March 13, 2018.
These widely read, talked about, heard and seen articles and audiovisual efforts covered a vast array of subjects, and included these popular entries:
- "Association Between Push-up Exercise Capacity and Future Cardiovascular Events Among Active Adult Men," JAMA Network Open, Feb. 15.
- "Association Between Soft Drink Consumption and Mortality in 10 European Countries," JAMA Internal Medicine, Sept. 3.
- "COPD: All You Need to Know in 20 Minutes," JAMA, Feb. 26.
- "The Making of The House of God," JAMA, July 10.