The AMA is committed to recognizing and honoring those who exemplify medicine's highest values: commitment to service, community involvement, altruism and leadership.
Available AMA awards
- Distinguished Service Award
- Citation for Distinguished Service
- AMA Medal of Valor
- Scientific Achievement Award
- Benjamin Rush Award for Citizenship and Community Service
- President's Citation for Service to the Public
- Dr. William Beaumont Award in Medicine
- AMA Foundation Award for Health Education
- Isaac Hays, MD and John Bell, MD Award for Leadership in Medical Ethics and Professionalism
- Medical Executive Lifetime Achievement Award
- Medical Executive Meritorious Achievement Award
- Community Service Award
- Young at Heart Award
AMA award nomination instructions
- Candidates may be nominated for more than one award
- Nominations for awards should be presented on an official awards nomination form
- Include a sponsor's statement and endorsement statements
- Include the candidates' curriculum vitae
- Nomination deadline for 2020 awards is February 17, 2020
- Email nominations to the HOD
AMA Foundation awards
The mission of the AMA Foundation is to advance public health and medical scholarship through support of physician-directed initiatives.
The AMA Foundation is committed to improving the health of Americans by increasing support for public health programs, including grants for free clinics and health education projects.
- Excellence in Medicine Awards
- Isaac Hays, MD and John Bell, MD, Award for Leadership in Medical Ethics and Professionalism
- Joan F. Giambalvo Fund for the Advancement of Women
- The AMA Foundation Health Education Award
- Underrepresented in Medicine (formerly the Minority Scholars Award)
- Physicians of Tomorrow Awards
The AMA Physician’s Recognition Award (PRA) honors physicians who have demonstrated their commitment to patient care through continuing medical education (CME).