The Advocacy in Action Workshop is an opportunity for medical students to receive virtual grassroots advocacy skills training that will equip them to become effective advocates and leaders in medicine.
Register for the webinars on Oct. 25 and Oct. 26 to hear from expert speaker panels, participate in advocacy skills workshops, learn about health care issues, and how you can actively advocate for patients, providers and communities.
On the third day, Oct. 27, workshop attendees are invited to put to use the skills they learned and resources provided to advocate for specific issues they care most about.
Read the welcome letter (PDF) from Government Relations Advocacy Fellow, Jessica McAllister. All times are Central.
Advocating for Providers and Advocating for Patients
Oct. 25, 5:30 p.m.: Combatting physician burnout; what advocating for patients looks like in medical practice. Watch the webinar (members only).
Advocating for Communities
Oct. 26, 5:30 p.m.: Approaching medicine from a health equity perspective, how physicians/medical students can best serve communities. Watch the webinar (members only).
Advocacy Action Day
Oct. 27, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.: Students to utilize the skills they’ve gained in the workshop to advocate on the issues they’ve learned about.
- Watch the Action Day address (members only) from Government Relations Advocacy Fellow, Jessica McAllister with tips on how to use the skills you have learned at the workshop to advocate for providers, patients and your communities.
- Prepare for Advocacy Action Day (PDF)
- Advocating for Patients: Lowering Prescription Drug Costs (PDF)
- Advocating for Communities: Addressing the Maternal Mortality Crisis (PDF)
- Advocating for Physicians: Addressing Payment Inequities (PDF)
Share these letters of support with your representatives.
- S.712, Connected Maternal Online Monitoring Act” (“Connected MOM Act”) (PDF)
- HR 1202, Resident Education Deferred Interest (REDI) Act (PDF)
- H.R. 830, Help Ensure Lower Patient (HELP) Copays Act (PDF)
- H.R. 2474, Strengthening Medicare for Patients and Providers Act (PDF)
- H.R.3838/S.2415, Preventing Maternal Deaths Reauthorization Act of 2023 (PDF)
For questions about the Advocacy in Action Workshop, contact Jessica McAllister, AMA Government Relations Advocacy Fellow at [email protected].