Chapter 8: Designing the Workflow
Focus on how to create processes and protocols for the entire care team to recognize when the behavioral health specialist should become involved.
- Team Building & Workflow Guide: This additional AMA resource can be used to help guide you through the workflow and align on a plan.
Chapter 9: Preparing the Clinical Team
Help achieve your practice's success metrics by ensuring everyone knows their individual role and responsibilities.
- The Partnership Checklist: Utilize this Partnership Checklist to determine if a partnership is necessary to achieve the desired outcomes for the integration program in your practice or organization.
- Integration Training Resources: For direct training manuals on integration and important steps along the way, utilize the manuals provided from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs Center for Integrated Healthcare.
Chapter 10: Partnering with the Patient
It is important that care teams explain the “why and how” of integrated care to patients and family/caregivers. This chapter explores best practices to engage and activate patients in their care.
- Implementing Mental Health Priorities in Practice: Strategies to Engage Patients and Families: This resource consists of videos demonstrating examples of patient/family encounters that encompass the most difficult conversation areas for various mental health topics.
- Mnemonic for Communication Best Practices (PDF): This document contains helpful considerations for communication methods when working with patients and their families/caregivers.
Chapter 11: Financial Sustainability: Billing & Coding
There is no "one-size-fits-all” financial model for BHI. Explore different approaches to finance your BHI activities in this chapter.
- Financial Modeling Workbook: For more information regarding financial modeling, see this website for access to a free resource.
- Codes for Services Under Medicaid (PDF): Find details on services, codes and rates for community and private mental health centers.
Chapter 12: Measuring Progress
As integration is a process that is constantly evolving, it is important that you continue to check your progress and reassess where you need to grow along the way.
- Using Benchmarking to Drive Successful Integration: Watch this CIHS and SAMHSA-HRSA Webinar on the use of benchmarking for information on how benchmarking can drive successful behavioral and primary care integration.
With an increased number of people reporting worsening mental health in recent years, it is imperative that people are aware of the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline (formerly known as the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline) telephone program.
People experiencing a suicidal, substance use, and/or mental health crisis, or any other kind of emotional distress can call, chat or text 988, and speak to trained crisis counselors. The national hotline is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The previous National Suicide Prevention Lifeline phone number (1-800-273-8255) will continue to be operational and route calls to 988 indefinitely.