Founded in 1904, the Council on Medical Education recommends educational policies to the AMA House of Delegates.
The council also recommends to the AMA Board of Trustees the appointments of representatives to medical education organizations, accrediting bodies and certification boards.
The council collaborates with other key organizations in medical education, supports the accreditation of medical education programs and gathers and disseminates medical education data and products/services.
The council focuses on issues and initiatives related to 4 areas:
- Undergraduate medical education
- Graduate medical education
- Continuing medical education
- Continuing professional development
The American Medical Association's Council on Medical Education, in conjunction with the American Board of Medical Specialties, sponsors the Liaison Committee for Specialty Boards.
Interested in nominating yourself or someone you know to be a member of this council?
- Research the nomination process and download the Council & Committee Nomination form (DOC).
- Review the AMA Conflict of Interest Policy and Council Principles (PDF, members only). Information will be emailed to you with instructions on how to complete and submit the Conflict of Interest form.
Also, review the current requests for nominations and necessary qualifications from the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) review committees, American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) and other medical education organizations and committees. Be sure to submit applications by the posted deadlines.
The council welcomes your comments, questions and input on our current projects.
AMA Council on Medical Education
American Medical Association
330 N. Wabash Ave
Chicago, Illinois 60611
Tanya Lopez, MS, Director/Secretary, Council on Medical Education
(312) 464-4230 or [email protected]