The AMA “Members Move Medicine” series profiles a wide variety of doctors and health care organizations, offering a glimpse into the passions of women and men navigating new courses in American medicine.
On the move with: Henry Ford Medical Group, part of Henry Ford Health System in Detroit.
AMA group member since: 1994.
How our organization moves medicine: The Henry Ford Medical Group, part of Henry Ford Health System and one of the nation’s largest group practices, is nationally recognized for clinical excellence in cardiology, cancer, neurosurgery and neurology, orthopedics and sports medicine and organ transplant. Our teaching and research portfolio and advanced patient care practices make Henry Ford a premier academic institution. For more than 20 years, we have hosted an annual Quality Expo that is recognized as the largest quality improvement events in the country. Our Innovation Institute provides resources to advance the future of health care in areas of new products, devices and therapies.
How our organization stands out from competitors: Henry Ford is one of the nation’s most comprehensive, integrated health systems. From our inception, we’ve integrated our inpatient and outpatient departments and employed physicians in a group practice model. That integration has been continuously incorporated and adapted throughout our organization to address new opportunities and needs. We provide a continuum of services to coordinate the full health care experience and, through research and education, contribute to the advancement of health care. Our diversified ambulatory network comprises medical and health centers, behavioral health clinics, a substance abuse facility, home-based care, pharmacy and retail services in more than 150 locations across southeast Michigan.
The Henry Ford Medical Group, with more than 1,200 physicians and researchers in more than 40 specialties, staff Henry Ford Hospital, Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital and nearly 30 medical centers in the metro Detroit area. Some Medical Group physicians are also on staff at other Henry Ford Hospitals. The Medical Group comprises physicians and scientists from 60 countries from around the globe.
Groundbreaking or innovative projects: Henry Ford Health System has a lead role in the landmark All of Us Research Program. We are leading one of the consortiums as part of a network of health care systems and medical centers across the U.S. tasked for enrolling participants.
With the goal of increasing access to the best care for all patients, our Henry Ford Cancer Institute has launched an oncology precision medicine program. We are the only cancer program in Michigan to offer precision medicine testing to all cancer patients. We provide molecular fingerprinting on more than 500 potentially targetable genes in the fight against cancer. Selected by the National Institutes of Health as one of only seven sites in the country leading a molecular genetic "All for Us" screening program, our precision medicine program is quickly becoming the largest program of its kind in the state.
Our Heart & Vascular Institute is a leader in transcatheter valve replacement (TAVR) heart valve replacement and using 3D modeling and printing for those procedures. The HVI also created the Detroit Cardiogenic Shock Initiative with the goal of improving mortality in patients suffering from cardiogenic shock. The initiative has now expanded nationally to be known as the National Cardiogenic Shock Initiative.
Henry Ford Hospital, our flagship hospital, is recognized as an advanced comprehensive stroke center by the Joint Commission, the highest designation of its kind. Since its initial certification in 2016, Henry Ford Hospital has experienced a 10 percent increase in ischemic stroke patients and a 151 percent increase in endovascular thrombectomies. Through multiple process improvements, care is delivered more efficiently and seamlessly.
Notable 2018 accomplishments and awards:
- Three hospitals—Henry Ford Hospital, Henry Ford Macomb Hospital and Henry Ford West Bloomfield—were named a Top Hospital for patient safety and quality by The Leapfrog Group.
- All five of our acute-care hospitals—Henry Ford Hospital, Henry Ford Allegiance Health, Henry Ford Macomb Hospital, Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital and Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital—received an “A” safety grade in The Leapfrog Group’s fall safety grades.
- Henry Ford Hospital and Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital earned stroke quality awards from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.
- Henry Ford Health System ranked ninth in the country for IT excellence.
- Henry Ford Hospital recognized as a Best Hospital for Ear, Nose and Throat specialty by U.S. News & World Report. The hospital was also recognized in five high performing specialties: Cancer, nephrology, neurology and neurosurgery, orthopedics and urology.
- Henry Ford Health System recognized routinely for workplace diversity and inclusion.
- 2011 Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award recipient.
How our organization gives back to the community: We have a rich history of supporting the communities we serve. Headquartered in Detroit for more than 100 years, we develop innovative ways to address the social, economic and educational issues that affect the health of these communities. This includes three major community partnerships:
- Community Health and Social Services (CHASS) Clinic provides primary care services to about 1,300 uninsured and underinsured Detroit residents every month. Our physicians staff the clinic in southwest Detroit.
- Institute on Multicultural Health studies the disparities in health care among people of color and finds solutions for getting early diagnosis and treatment of diseases.
- School-Based and Community Health Program operates 11 child and adolescent health centers that provide primary care services in Detroit, Warren and Mount Clemens.
A collaborative called WIN Network: Detroit led by Henry Ford is making a difference in infant mortality in Detroit by creating a system of care for women and linking them with available community resources. The collaborative comprises several Detroit area health systems and is supported by numerous organizations.
Additionally, Henry Ford has a number of initiatives under way to address social barriers facing underserved patients, and the Henry Ford Medical Group has added its voice to the national chorus advocating for gun safety.
Visit MembershipMovesMedicine.com to learn more about other AMA members who are relentlessly moving medicine through advocacy, education, patient care and practice innovation, and join or renew today.