Optimizing and sustaining telehealth in your practice is essential to support patient care. This collection of AMA STEPS Forward® Practice Innovation Strategies offers proven approaches on how to implement digital health solutions and reduce technology-associated administrative burdens.
The AMA Digital Health Implementation Playbook series offers comprehensive, step-by-step guides to implementing digital health solutions, specifically telemedicine, in practice based on insights from across the medical community.
Digital health programs focus on how digital health and telehealth improvements can contribute to better clinical outcomes and the success of your practice.
- Taming the EHR Playbook
- Patient Portal Optimization
- Patient Care Registries
- Sharing Clinical Notes With Patients
- Telemedicine and Team-Based Care
- Project ECHO® (Extension for Community Healthcare Outcomes: Connect with Expert Medical Specialists to Build Capacity in Primary Care and Reduce Health Disparities)
Access interactive instruction from experts who address practical, actionable strategies to transform physician practices.
Hear health care leaders share how they overcame practice challenges by implementing real-world solutions around digital health and telemedicine.
Explore Physician Innovation Network open forum discussions on how physicians and students are engaging in digital health programs and preparing technology for clinical practice.
- Telemedicine amid COVID-19
- COVID‑19 Innovations: What's here to stay?
- Measuring the Value of Virtual Care
- What does practice innovation mean?
Telehealth Immersion Program
The Telehealth Immersion Program, part of the AMA STEPS Forward® Innovation Academy, is the AMA's newest offering to guide physicians, practices and health systems in optimizing and sustaining telehealth at their organizations.
- Telehealth Quick Guide: Access key steps, best practices and resources for the adoption and scale of digital health solutions.
- Telehealth Immersion Program: This comprehensive curriculum guide for the Telehealth Immersion Program offers session recordings and digital health education resources on-demand.
- Return on Health: Building on existing research, the AMA, in collaboration with Manatt Health, developed a "Return on Health" framework to articulate the value of digitally enabled care.
Telehealth use, which surged during the COVID-19 pandemic, has provided a way for physicians to provide care while keeping patients safe in their homes. Explore research topics in this area.
- AMA Digital Health Research (AMA)
- Telehealth Impact physician survey analysis (AMA)
- Telehealth Impact Patient Survey Analysis (COVID-19 Healthcare Coalition)
- Creating a “Manageable Cockpit” for Clinicians: A Shared Responsibility in the Age of Accelerations (JAMA Network)
- Six Habits of Highly Successful Health IT: Powerful Strategies for Design and Implementation (Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association)