Minority Affairs Section (MAS)
The American Medical Association Minority Affairs Section (AMA-MAS) membership is composed of physicians and medical students dedicated to addressing the issues and concerns of underrepresented minority (URM) physicians and improving the health of minority populations. We provide a national forum for advocacy on minority health issues and professional concerns of minority physicians and medical students. Membership in the AMA-MAS is free for AMA members, as well as non-AMA physicians and students. All physicians, medical students and allies are welcome.
- Join AMA-MAS now for free
- More about AMA-MAS's goals and objectives, and its 9-member Governing Council
Physician workforce diversity
AMA Minority Scholars Awards
- Awards $10,000 scholarships annually in conjunction with the AMA Foundation and Pfizer, Inc.
- Awards $5,000 to one outstanding African-American medical student interested in cardiology
- Since the program's inception in 1994, over 123 first- and second-year students have been awarded more than $1 million
- To learn more about scholarship eligibility, past recipients, and how your donation can help to alleviate debt for URM medical students, visit the AMA Foundation's Minority Scholars Award web page.
Doctors Back To School™
The Doctors Back to School™ program was developed by the AMA-MAS as a diversity pipeline initiative to inspire the next generation of underrepresented minority physicians by connecting underrepresented minority physicians with minority youth in classrooms and school assemblies around the nation. Since its inception in 1994, tens of thousands of youth have been engaged through this educational program.
Policy and advocacy
The AMA has developed numerous policies on minority physician and minority health issues. In addition, the AMA provides resources and advocacy on a variety of issues including culturally effective health care, increasing the numbers of minority physicians, and working toward the elimination of health disparities.
AMA-MAS aims to be the voice of URM physicians, students and those caring for minority patients. To influence AMA policy that affects these constituents, as well as minority patient populations, the AMA-MAS holds its national meetings in conjunction with other AMA member groups and sections and the House of Delegates.
- Association of American Indian Physicians
- National Hispanic Medical Association
- National Medical Association
- National Minority Quality Forum
In addition, AMA-MAS exhibits at the annual conferences of the organizations listed above, as well as those of the Latino Medical Student Association and the Student National Medical Association.
News, Trends, Resources
Members are automatically added to the AMA-MAS listserv to receive periodic emails about current events and policy updates relevant to underrepresented minority medical professionals. MAS members also have access to many AMA resources, including:
AMA Strategic Focus Areas
- Improving Health Outcomes
- Creating the Medical School of the Future
- Creating Thriving Physician Practices
- Join AMA / renew membership and explore member benefits
- Join AMA-MAS
- Read our Guide to Leadership Opportunities in the AMA
- Find out about the Commission to End Health Care Disparities
Contact AMA-MAS by calling (312) 464-4335 or send an email to email@example.com.