AMA-OMSS Meetings & Events
The 2016 OMSS Annual Meeting will be held June 9-11 at the Hyatt Regency Chicago. We hope you'll join us to:
- Increase your knowledge,
- Take action on issues vital to physicians affiliated with medical staffs, and
- Connect with other medical staff leaders from across the country.
Subscribe to the OMSS email list to be notified when additional information about the meeting becomes available.
Free online registration will be available through May 24. Free onsite registration will be available beginning at 10 am on Thursday June 9, in the Grand Ballroom Foyer (East Tower, Gold Level).
Hyatt Regency Chicago
151 East Wacker Drive
Chicago, Ill. 60601
Book your reservations online or call Hyatt reservations at 888-421-1442.
Special Airline Discount
An airline discount is available on United Airlines, valid for 3 days prior to and 3 days after the official meeting dates of June 11 – 15.
To obtain the discount when booking online, click on All Search Options and enter your origin, destination and travel dates. Then enter ZW5Q537819 in the Promotions and Certificates offer code box. Available flights will be displayed. Once you’ve selected an available flight the discounted fare will automatically be calculated.
To obtain the discount over the phone, call United Airlines Meetings at (800) 426-1122 and mention Z code ZW5Q and agreement code 537819. A service fee will apply.
Special Shuttle Discount
GO Airport Express offers airport shuttle services between O'Hare and Midway Airports and downtown Chicago hotels.
$21 each way from O'Hare
$17 each way from Midway
These fares are only available through this reservation portal. Make your airport shuttle reservations.
Note: You must log in to your AMA account to download these documents. If you do not have an AMA account you will be prompted to create one. Creating an AMA account is free and open to both physicians (AMA member and non-member) and non-physician members of the public.
Education program presentations
Available June 3
Report of the Committee on Late Resolutions
Available June 9
Reference Committee Report
Available June 10
The following education programs will be presented at the Annual Meeting:
- Linking EHR connectivity with data analytics provides value for physicians and their patients in the transforming system
Practical application: Improving EHR usability and interoperability
- Tackling quality improvement through targeted solutions
- Preparing for MACRA
- Washington update
- Integrated leadership for hospitals and health systems: Principles for success
Practical application: Developing medical staff leaders
- Peer review the right way: Correcting your medical staff bylaws
- Burning up, burning out, or burning brightly?
Resolutions may be submitted by individual OMSS Representatives or by state society medical staff sections. Resolutions must be submitted to the AMA Department of Organized Medical Staff Services no later than 40 days before the commencement of the Assembly Meeting at which they will be considered.
- The resolution submission deadline for the 2016 OMSS Annual Meeting is April 30, 2016.
Note: A state medical staff section that adjourns its meeting after or less than seven days before the 40-day deadline is permitted to submit resolutions up to 7 days after the close of its meeting. In any event, all resolutions must be submitted no later than 10 days before the meeting.
All resolutions submitted after the deadlines described above, but before 4:00 p.m. the day before the meeting begins, will be considered “late” and will require a 2/3 vote of the OMSS Assembly in order to be considered.
Resolution Writing Resources
The following resources are intended to help guide you through the process of writing a relevant, high-quality OMSS resolution:
- OMSS resolutions should be written and submitted on the OMSS resolution template which, in addition to providing formatting guidance, contains helpful hints about what makes for a well-written resolution.
- View a sample resolution.
- The AMA House of Delegates has adopted extensive policy on a range of organized medical staff issues. Be sure to search existing policy using AMA PolicyFinder before writing a resolution. In particular, you may wish to consult the portions of AMA policy addressing medical staff issues.
- Review the OMSS Internal Operating Procedures pertaining to the submission and consideration of resolutions.
- Please contact AMA staff with any questions about the resolution process or for assistance in developing your resolution.
At its 2016 Annual Meeting, the OMSS Assembly will elect members to the following Governing Council positions for the 2016-2018 term:
- Vice Chair
- Alternate Delegate
All candidates must submit an Election Application. Applications received by May 10 will be included in the OMSS meeting handbook.
Although all AMA members are invited to attend the OMSS meeting, only certified OMSS representatives are permitted to fully participate in the meeting (e.g., submit resolutions, make motions, vote).
OMSS representatives play a key role in the functioning of the Section. In addition to representing the interests and concerns of their medical staffs at biannual OMSS meetings, OMSS representatives serve as a two-way conduit for the transfer of vital information between the OMSS and medical staffs across the country. We hope that you will consider fully participating in the activities of the Section by becoming an OMSS representative today!
Contact the OMSS with any questions about becoming an OMSS representative.